Paddle Cat/Shrder/Culabra - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-27-2009   #1

Icebox, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Paddle Cat/Shrder/Culabra

So I just bought a paddle cat and took it out for the first time on the Poudre. It came in handy while chasing down some of my buddies boats.

It left me with some questions though:

Did anyone drill more drain holes in there boat. I think I will try three in the back just isn't enough.

Where did you put you extra D rings? There are only 4 and I used the back two to rig a paddle and tie webbing to the front D rings?

Anyone build a frame? I have to sacrafice an old frame and was planning on using a bunch of those parts for this one.

Anyone put a rub strake on the top of the tubes for protection and to create some friction? My buddy was sliding and falling in the boat a ton.

Overall a good madien voyage. I was suprised by two things the quickness and how shollow it floats with 400 lbs in it.

Does anyone have any pics of rigging and frames?
Thanks,

grandyoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2009   #2

Gallatin Gateway, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
I spoke to Jon at Top River gear in CA about these boats and he said that he made the drain holes bigger in his paddlecat and suspends gear off the floor as not to block the holes...
MT_Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009   #3

Icebox, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Dweller View Post
I spoke to Jon at Top River gear in CA about these boats and he said that he made the drain holes bigger in his paddlecat and suspends gear off the floor as not to block the holes...
I guess i will give him a call and ask him a few questions. Suspending the gear with the a frame or some kind of strapDring setup?

Anyone else? Shredderers how do you set yours up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2009   #4

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Built a rowing frame for an old Shredder last fall– cut down a small double-rail cat frame and added a drop footbar up front. Also made a Jack's-type tramp seat (to keep the weight low) and got an inflatable backrest from Jack. She really likes the comfortable seat.

Here it is afloat this spring:

The oars are 7.5 ft. With one person, it rides high and she thinks it needs 8 ft. oars, given the height of the rainbow oarstands. I made 8 d-ring patches and glued 'em on to rig the frame.

Here's the rear view (note the fore/aft trim, which is ideal):

This could've been a single-rail frame, I guess, built like the light cat frame I just finished. Pumped up tight, the Shredder is stiff and only needs the frame to do three things: couple the oars to the tubes, provide a footbrace, and provide a place to sit with back support, and good weight distribution. (If you omit the seat and sit on the rear thwart, it buggers the trim.)

I might have used a seatboard and/or a plastic fishing seat like the one on my light cat frame, but the Shredder tubes are short and fat, and a board with a seat on top would put the rower way high and increase the chance of flipping. After all, it's designed for two kneeling paddlers which puts the design C of G quite bit lower.

Jodie ( a former raft guide and a kayaker) says it handles like she hoped it would, or better. That's my reward.

Have fun with yours—
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #5

Icebox, Colorado
Thanks, for the info chip.. I am think I am going to put four drings on the outside of each tube. Two to attach the corners of the frame and the other two to rig some kind of tramp gear storage on the front and back..

On a seperate not do you think that northgate will be flowin on the weekend of the june 13th..
Old 06-02-2009   #6

I also got a paddlecat and was wondering what is the best way to cut more drain holes or make them bigger with out tearing stuff up. ALso looking at building a little frame for rowing. So far it is a blast.
panicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009   #7

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandyoso View Post
Thanks, for the info chip.. I am think I am going to put four drings on the outside of each tube. Two to attach the corners of the frame and the other two to rig some kind of tramp gear storage on the front and back..

On a separate note do you think that northgate will be flowin on the weekend of the june 13th..
If you rig to a ring on the outside of the tube, you need an opposing d-ring on the inside. Otherwise, the straps are applying a rotational force: maybe hard on the tubes longterm. I'd say 4 out and 4 inside.

Northgate's over 2000 cfs right now, which is pretty sweet. But it's raining and cold. I reckon it'll be good to go around June 13, unless the weather goes seriously whacko. The USGS website is:

USGS Real-Time Water Data for USGS 06620000 NORTH PLATTE RIVER NEAR NORTHGATE, CO
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009   #8

Icebox, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
If you rig to a ring on the outside of the tube, you need an opposing d-ring on the inside. Otherwise, the straps are applying a rotational force: maybe hard on the tubes longterm. I'd say 4 out and 4 inside.

Northgate's over 2000 cfs right now, which is pretty sweet. But it's raining and cold. I reckon it'll be good to go around June 13, unless the weather goes seriously whacko. The USGS website is:

USGS Real-Time Water Data for USGS 06620000 NORTH PLATTE RIVER NEAR NORTHGATE, CO
I wasn't thinking about the torque that it would put on the tubes.
Thanks

It looks like northgate may be good till next weekend with thecold weather and hopefully extra snow up in the higher elevations. HOpefully I will have the frame built up for my new 15 ftr done..
Old 06-04-2009   #9

Gallatin Gateway, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
Hey Grandyoso...there is a pic of a Paddlecat with a frame on it in the classified section of the buzz. Looks like a custom NRS style frame.

Chip, I am not sure I understand the need for the inside D rings on the paddle cat. Most rafts do not have this type of attachment, and I would think a paddlecat could be rigged more similar to a raft than a traditional cat....
MT_Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #10

Icebox, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Dweller View Post
Hey Grandyoso...there is a pic of a Paddlecat with a frame on it in the classified section of the buzz. Looks like a custom NRS style frame.

Chip, I am not sure I understand the need for the inside D rings on the paddle cat. Most rafts do not have this type of attachment, and I would think a paddlecat could be rigged more similar to a raft than a traditional cat....
I think you would need an inside and outside rings on the maybe the front and the back tubes if you were going to rig some kind of trampoline. The problem with riging only one ring on the outside is that it would pull in on the tube and it may eventually warp the tube. I think where the rowers compartment is you could rig stuff in the middle so it would have something to support the tubes. What do you think Chip?

I saw that frame on the swap. I am going to build a similar frame with some pipe I have from my old raft frame. Thanks for the heads up...