Outdoor storage on a trailer - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-11-2010   #1

Outdoor storage on a trailer

for you guys that keep your rig setup all the time on a trailer, are most of you keeping them in a garage, or if outside do you just 303 the heck out of it, tarp, or what to protect it from the sun, etc., when it's not in use?

thinking about ordering a raft cover but seeing what everyone else does first. this will be my first year keeping it trailered and setup all the time and it will be outside. cover seems like cheap insurance versus the cost of the rig but not cheap by any means. what's everyone do?? thanks!!

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010   #2
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Last year I used a car cover bought at Walmart for 40 bucks. But now that I bought a spanking new boat, I am building a heated garage for her

You want to keep it away from the elements, tarp is the cheapest solution, a carport would be the next step up and obviously a garage/shed would be the best. Right now my sweetheart is enjoying her stay downstairs in the family room. I know my wife won't go for that next winter.

kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010   #3

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
Alex, I still don;t see the big screen tv anywhere

Hope your permits are plentiful this year!
oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2010   #4

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
I cover mine with a cheap grey tarp. Sun is your greatest enemy.
Old 03-12-2010   #5

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Hopefully there is a photo attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5971.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	2347  
Old 03-12-2010   #6

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Cheap gray tarp as well. I 303 it before covering it up for winter hibernation and also shovel the snow off of it to keep the unnecessary weight off the boat/frame. Has worked for the past three years with no noticeable sun fade. I 303 after coming out of hibernation and she gets as shiny as new (almost). Was thinking about one of those nice boat covers but a $20 tarp is way easier to deal with than a $400 boat cover...
calendar16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010   #7
The Russian

SLC, Utah
oarframe, trust me it's there lol
Have you guys thought about carports? They are a bit pricey but might work better than just a tarp. I was thinking of putting one up this year, but I think I convinced my wife to build a shed for the boat/trailer....
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
If your boat is new or even if you are planning to keep it out on the trailer for years. You are going to have to replace your tarps over time. I also have seen some really sun damaged boats that were kept under tarps. My personal opinion is to get a boat cover that is going to last the long haul. River Rat Ray makes a sweet product, it's not on his website, but if you contact him he'll tell you all about it. Tuff River Stuff Extremely Tough River and Camping Gear. don't forget to keep a close eye on air pressure too. Blown gaskets are no fun.
ckspaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010   #9

Louisville, Colorado
Our rafts and trailer (and bikes and skis and ropes and helmets...etc.) have displaced our vehicles from our garage.
catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010   #10

Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1979
A tarp worked ok for me, but it was sometimes a chore to keep it on in big winds. When we decided the horses needed a place to run, the barn became the boat barn. It's basically a carport, but I still keep it tarped. Our neighbor keeps his cataraft outside under a tarp, and it seems like he replaces the tarp every year. If you go the tarp route, I suggest you spend the bucks and get a good one - the blue cheapos are cheap in every sense of the word. Check out farm supply stores for hay covers - solid, UV resistent, and will last a good long time. I agree that sun is your worst enemy.
edd23 is offline   Reply With Quote