OT: Tacoma Long Bed vs Short Bed? - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-06-2010   #1

Evergreen, Colorado
OT: Tacoma Long Bed vs Short Bed?

Hello Everyone,

Looking at getting a new/used Tacoma Double Cab (05 or newer) and wondering if a short bed will be big enough for my needs. Is it big enough for your needs? Here is my deal, I would like to do mostly 3-7 day trips with a 14 foot raft, 3 bay frame and breakdown oars. In the past I have been able to load up my Honda Accord with roof rack. I put the raft in the trunk rolled up, tie the frame and oars on the roof, stuff life jackets in every conceivable place in the trunk and take a small cooler. Some more stuff like camping gear etc goes in the back seat with the dog, and the the wife and I ride up front. It kinda works...

So no doubt a new truck would be an improvement, but I am a bit concerned about not getting a long bed (i.e 6ft vs 5ft). Anyone here have a short bed and wish they had purchased a long bed? Anyone here have a long bed and find they never really need the extra space? Part of why I ask is because a double cab with a 5 ft bed is much easier to find than one with a 6ft bed.

Thanks again.

gwheyduke is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2010   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Go with the long bed. Better to have the extra space and not need it, than need it and not have it.
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1901
I have a Tacoma with a long bed, and for a while thought about getting a newer Tacoma with 4 doors and a full back seat and the shorter bed. I ended up not getting the newer Tacoma for a number of reasons, but I really don't like the short bed. First, I'm a kayaker, and my paddle wouldn't fit in the bed. No good. Also, I often find myself sleeping in the back of the truck when I roll into takeout at 3am. You can't sleep in the short bed and close the tailgate / camper shell. No good. Finally, as lmyers said, the short bed is really short, and who knows when you will need to fit extra gear in there. I doubt whether your average frame would fit in there, so it would likely have to go on the roof rack. I vote for long-bed.

Now if Toyota would only start selling a diesel Tacoma in the states, then we'd be talking.
cuzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2010   #4

Kayenta, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2006
Pros/Cons

Greetings,

I have a Nissan Frontier NISMO Four door with the short bed. I am in no ways in the market for a new truck, but if I were I would look at the long-bed Tacoma four door Off-Road V8.

We do the same types of trips as you, and it works for us...but barely. I threw a Yakima room rack system on top of my cab and it works really well. Whatever you get I would recomend eventually upgrading to a cap and get the bars on top for your frame.

We fit a 14 foot NRS, dry box, 123 Engel cooler and all the rest in the back under the cap but it is tight...Throw in a ducky or two and you are overloaded. I would love to have a long-bed to allow me to sleep back there and have more room for gear. I would probably build a platform with plywood, lay the pacos on that and set it to a height that my cooler/ dry-box would go under it.

The real positive I have for the short bed is a shorter wheel base, which helps with off-road. But with a Toyota or a Nissan long-bed I am sure you could go where you wanted. I tend to do a lot of slick-rock crawling and the shorter wheel-base is an advantage.

My Nissan is the 4.0 liter V6 which has around 240 horse. Great for most things, but it does not do as well pulling a loaded trailer, especially with gear inside and over the peaks...I would look towards that V8 if I could afford it.

All that being said...go with a long bed if you can find/afford what you want. Plan to get a cap, and after about 3-5 times of breaking down the frame and re-assembling it I bet you will want to just throw it on top anyhow...plan for a roof rack.

Whatever you get, enjoy and have fun.

MN
bucket52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010   #5

Eagle, Colorado
I have tacoma with a short bed and it works for me but it would be nice to have the extra room. I also have a trailer so that makes life a whole lot easier when it comes to rafting.

With the setup you are looking at I would say get the long bed.

Plus as mentioned before being able to sleep in the bed of the truck is nice. With the short bed it is a little problematic to carry bikes and ski/snowboard. They would just fit in there better with another foot of space. The lack of space has forced me to use a rack system more than I would have thought for owning a truck.
Eagle Mapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010   #6

Evergreen, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucket52 View Post
Greetings,

but if I were I would look at the long-bed Tacoma four door Off-Road V8.

MN
As far as I know they do not make a Tacoma in a V8, nor do they offer a TRD Off Road in a long bed (with the double cab, an access cab is a different story, but wife says it has to be a double cab). Originally, I wanted a long bed TRD off road, but they don't make such a vehicle, again as far as I know. If anyone has any information that says otherwise, please let me know.

I'm 6'5" tall, so I probably won't be sleeping in the back all that much... although if I get a 5 ft bed, I will never be sleeping in it..
gwheyduke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010   #7

Kayenta, Arizona
Probably Right

GW,

You are most likely right...As I said, I own a Nissan ans am not as well versed on the Toyotas. Occasionally I have a little truck eny and I thought it was for that, but I am probably wrong...

Get the long bed if you can, but the 4WD is essential too.

I always thought the larger series...Tundra is just a little too big for my taste, as is the Titan...I like the mid-size truck platform all around.

FYI...Love my Nissan...but it is the same thing as you mentioned...you can't get long bed, off-road with four-door...have to make some concessions.

Good Luck.

MN
bucket52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010   #8

Eagle, Colorado
I believe that you can get a tacoma trd sport in the long bed with a double cab. But the trd off-road is only a short bed with the double cab.
Eagle Mapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010   #9

Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwheyduke View Post
Hello Everyone,

Looking at getting a new/used Tacoma Double Cab (05 or newer) and wondering if a short bed will be big enough for my needs. Is it big enough for your needs? Here is my deal, I would like to do mostly 3-7 day trips with a 14 foot raft, 3 bay frame and breakdown oars. In the past I have been able to load up my Honda Accord with roof rack. I put the raft in the trunk rolled up, tie the frame and oars on the roof, stuff life jackets in every conceivable place in the trunk and take a small cooler. Some more stuff like camping gear etc goes in the back seat with the dog, and the the wife and I ride up front. It kinda works...

So no doubt a new truck would be an improvement, but I am a bit concerned about not getting a long bed (i.e 6ft vs 5ft). Anyone here have a short bed and wish they had purchased a long bed? Anyone here have a long bed and find they never really need the extra space? Part of why I ask is because a double cab with a 5 ft bed is much easier to find than one with a 6ft bed.

Thanks again.

I have a pickup with an 8' bed now. I used to have a truck with a shorter bed, maybe 6'. No question that that the longer bed is the way to go. I also have a 14' raft with all the gear.

The longer bed truck is very much easier to load up with stuff, without thinking much about how to fit things in. After the larger items are in.
David L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010   #10

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
You can't get a TRD Off Road with 4 doors and a long bed. Sadly. IMO, the short bed is a total waste, you might as well get a Honda Accord because you get about the same amount of storage space. Long bed, or a Tundra and then you really start talking gear storage space.
Marco Esquandolis is offline   Reply With Quote