OR Video - New Core Aluminum Paddles - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-09-2011   #1

Haley Station, Ontario
Paddling Since: 2002
OR Video - New Core Aluminum Paddles

Lots more vids up and more to come. Here is one of the new Core Paddles. One piece, bent shaft aluminum paddles with a pretty slick insert thing on the blade. Check out the vid to see how it works.
OR VIDEO: Core Paddles are here! - Rapid, The Whitewater Kayaking and Canoeing Magazine

Dan Caldwell
Rapid Media TV Guy

DanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011   #2

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Let's hope the "3rd time is the charm" for Steve H. He has come up with some fantastic paddle innovations over the years via WaterStick and H2O paddles, but the quality issues were damaging to the brands. Werner is the beacon of quality but they're awfully slow to innovate. If Core can avoid quality issues we should be able to find them in more than one Colorado kayak shop (ever see an H2O paddle in a Colorado shop other than 10 Mile Creek - when they're in stock? Nope, didn't think so).
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011   #3

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
I can't wait to add one to my collection of three Watersticks and a H2O, all of which have been bomber.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011   #4

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
"We've got a gripping member on the shaft"

Sounds like play by play for...
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011   #5

Newport, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Heard the podcast on In Between Swims, sounds like they have a pretty slick design, after a year of demos they haven't had one breakage. But still, don't know how aluminum would feel in the hand...

Gotta give props to someone who keeps coming back to the table with new ideas though. An interesting part of that podcast is him discussing innovation vs consolidation in the industry and what the values/risks of patents are.
Old 08-09-2011   #6

Haley Station, Ontario
Paddling Since: 2002
Glad I'm not the only one that thought the 'gripping member' was funny. Paddles seem bomber which is one thing that might actually turn some folks off. Sounds weird but I've had times when my paddle broke (running big drops) and I'm glad it did because otherwise it probably would have be my arms/face taking the damage. Otherwise I'm really excited to try one out as they look pretty rad.

Dan Caldwell
Rapid Media TV Guy
DanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011   #7

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Core Paddles seem to be a nice evolution of the WaterStick "Ti-Stick" that Steve came up with almost 10 years ago. The titanium alloy shaft was bomber tough but the carbon blades were too brittle and didn't stand up well to hard use/abuse. Anybody still using a Ti-Stick?
Here's to hoping the "gripping members" on the Core Paddles as as good or better than the grips on the H2O paddles. As everyone knows, with good "gripping members" there is no need for constant application of "gripping wax" to the paddle shaft (ie. Werner).
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011   #8

silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Tested the Core bent shaft 197 plastic blade paddle 30degree 2 days ago at Golden play park and Black Rock. Currently using a AT2 Superlight 197, the transition between the two was surprisingly easy

Rubber grips were really nice!
Lots of power from each stroke, the shaft and blades felt super solid
Shaft felt stiffer then my AT2 (good or bad to be determined)
Hand placement on the paddle was further apart then AT2(might want to go with shorter paddle then you normally use)
Time will tell with durability but first impressions were this is a bomber paddle.
Rented it from Ten Mile Creek Kayaks in Frisco, going back to try the 194
miahski2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011   #9

Columbus, Indiana
Are the blades going to be replaceable? That would rock, because I'm going to assume that the stick is still going to be usable once the blades wear down or break. Having a $100 re-blade service would be KILLER. Sure would beat having to buy a whole new paddle because the blade wore out or broke. If this were the case, there would be NO question, I would be buying one.

How's the over all durability going to compare to something like a Werner? The price is pretty much the same, so unless there is some kind of insentive (like the re-blade idea above), I'd just assume go with the Werner since it's a proven durrable product.

And lastly, what's the durrability difference between the plastic and carbon blades going to be like?
seedubs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011   #10

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedubs1 View Post
And lastly, what's the durrability difference between the plastic and carbon blades going to be like?
In all likelihood, the plastic will be more durable than the carbon. I know that feels backwards, but the reason is in the failure mode of the two materials. When carbon fiber reaches its limits, it fails spectacularly and completely. If the carbon is nicked in just the wrong way, it will start a crack that will propagate over time and eventually fail. The carbon is fragile, and doesn't take well to hits.

The plastic meanwhile, fails by bending to the point of uselessness, but it still has strength on its way through the failure process. It doesn't snap. It can also absorb hits without affecting the long term performance.

I think the main point is this: the carbon will be around for a long time as long as it doesn't hit anything. If you are playboating in deep water with zero chance of hitting rocks, your carbon blades will last forever. If you are out creeking, all those little hits on your blades will kill it. For my taste and rocky rivers, I prefer the reinforced plastic blades.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminum