Opinions on kaboats? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-05-2010   #1

Waco, Texas
Opinions on kaboats?

I've been searching all over the 'net, and have been able to find very little in the way of reviews for kaboats, especially from those who have owned them. I came across this forum while searching, and the Saturn wars here have somewhat reinforced my concerns.

Without turning this into a battlefield, are there any yea/nay or (preferably) more detailed opinions on the usefulness and value of a kaboat? More to the point, is a 2010 kaboat going to hold together better than those older Saturn rafts that have been the subject of contention?

Since most valuations require some sort of basis to work off of, here is my basic situation and priorities:

*Infrequent, seasonal use on mostly easy rivers and lakes, with the possibiity of being loaned out for occasional coastal fishing inside barrier islands (barring a lengthy vacation, most usage will be within central Texas, not known for its Class IV)
*Reasonably cheap (absurdly cheap, if you prefer; read as 3-digits, the lower the better)--this is a third or fourth hobby, mostly for the summer months; not a lifelong means of recreation
*Reasonably versatile (paddling as primary use, but sailing/rowing/motoring are all nice-to-haves--I don't know yet how many different uses we'll decide are fun enough to try out)
*Can be thrown in the back/trunk of a Cavalier (which means solid hulls are pretty much right out).

The kaboat seems on paper to meet all of those criteria pretty well, *and* you can put 3 people in the larger models, which happens to be how many seats I would need most of the time. The only real downside is that I haven't been able to find any real reviews other than the glowing testimonials posted by the sellers. Searching through the archives here was a bit of an eye-opener, too.

Thanks in advance for all opinions. I am very much a casual newbie, and will be asking stupid questions like one.

Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2010   #2

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1979
Sounds like the perfect boat for you!
briandburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010   #3

Waco, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by briandburns View Post
Sounds like the perfect boat for you!
Unless it falls apart after the first summer. Which is what I really need to find out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2010   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
It seems to carry a 2 year warranty on the nylon and seams. So it looks like you're covered for more than one season. I would certainly try to find a dealer where I could touch/sit in and/or demo one before jumping into a purchase.
Kayaksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010   #5

Waco, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayaksteve View Post
It seems to carry a 2 year warranty on the nylon and seams. So it looks like you're covered for more than one season. I would certainly try to find a dealer where I could touch/sit in and/or demo one before jumping into a purchase.
I wish I could. Unfortunately, the nearest dealers are RM Rafts (Colorado) and BoatstoGo (Florida), both something like a thousand miles away.
Old 07-09-2010   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Sounds like time for a road trip to Colorado then! But I would bet they would not have your Kaboat in stock tho... Those are not the typical boat used for whitewater.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010   #7

Waco, Texas
Actually, RM currently show that they're out of stock. I was kinda hoping that they'd chime in on this thread, since they're apparently fairly active here...
Old 01-02-2012   #8

EASTPOINT, United States
Paddling Since: 1954
I bought a 15' Kaboat this summer. Haven't used it much yet but I've had it out in the Gulf of Mexico and paddled it with my wife into a headwind about 9 miles on the Delaware River. The rowing system is useless but it paddles pretty well with canoe paddles. I own a Suzuki 2.5 outboard and just got the Kaboat licensed to use the engine so it will get more use this next year, I'm sure. It was quick to inflate/deflate so we can carry it around in our van easily.
TomStover is offline   Reply With Quote