On Person throw bag - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-09-2011   #1

Shit Creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
On Person throw bag

I would really like to carry a small throw bag on my person as well as my large one in my boat while kayaking. I am wondering where to try to put it. I am a pretty short guy and have an unusually short torso, so my PFD takes all the space there. I thought of a second bag attached to my safety belt that would open with a zipper and contain my small throw bag. Anyone have any ideas they have used that might help? Just looking for ideas to try to as prepared and safe possible.
Thanks

Advertisement

Old 07-09-2011   #2

Your Mom!, Colorado
Astral makes one that fits in some of their PFD's

Astral 2011 Products
JeremyTheMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011   #3

Shit Creek, Colorado
Yeh, but I use my old Lotus PFD. I carry a spare knife, pulleys, prusiks, and a couple odds and ends the pocket, so that is out. Also, my pockets are pretty tight as is. I have 2-3 small Stohlquist bags and would like to use one of them.
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2011   #4

x, x
Paddling Since: x
you could put about 25' maybe 35' in the hand warmer pocket behind the chest pannel. quick access to throw from the boat not too bulky.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011   #5

Provo, Utah
I have the astral spectra rope and would recommend you carry a second longer rope in your boat if you are going to use that one. 55 feet just isn't long enough for most situations. Swiftwater Rescue Instructors generally recommend a minimum of 75 feet.

Saw a friend with an older lotus jacket put one of the quick release around his life jacket up in the middle of his lower back. Not sure what brand his rope was but the quick release belt was long enough to all the way around his body with the pfd on.
afaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011   #6

Shit Creek, Colorado
I would like to keep the rope in a bag for sure. I do always carry a long rope in my boat. I am at work and dont have my gear, but I was thinking of sewing 2-3 loops on one of my small Stohlquist bags and using a spare rescue belt to keep it on. Maybe keep the rope in the bottom left on front to keep it from getting tangled with my rescue tether. I dont want it on my same quick release belt as my tether in case I am towing a boat and hafta pop in loose. Also thinking of a webbing/fasttex buckle between front and back of pfd with same webbing straps sewn to throw bag.
Thanks for you input, it all helps me with the ideas
Old 07-09-2011   #7

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I've read about and considered sewing a neoprene patch, with a drain, to the back of my pfd that would serve as a pouch for stuffing a small throw bag. The drawback to this idea might be a reduced roll speed and increased difficulty in rolling from drag, and the possibility that the pouch would get snared on a strainer or other object in a way that I couldn't cut away with my knife.
Nessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
The stholquist bullet. Mounts to your pfd quick release strap.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003SHCX0C
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011   #9

pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I wear my waist throw bag under my armpits which puts the bag roughly between my shoulder blades. When I row a lowback seat rig I go back to waist and in a highback seat I go amrpits again. My playboat forces armpits and my creekboat allows waist.

Good luck.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bag