Olympus Stylus Waterproof Camera help - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-04-2010   #1

Corvallis, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2003
Olympus Stylus Waterproof Camera help

I got myself the Olympus waterproof camera around Christmas and seem to be getting more blurry shots then clear ones. Does anyone else have one that could give some advice?

I had the original stylus all weather camera and though it was great for a point and shoot, took good pics, was tough, and only died cause I took it swimming a few times. I got this one with the idea of being able to carry it in my PFD pocket. It already has taken a couple swims...so the waterproof aspect works fine, but I seem to get a lot of blurry shots (even when the lense is dry). I'm far from being a professional photographer...am I missing something in the settings? I was hoping for a point and shoot camera that provided decent pictures and a setting that worked well in most situations. Am I asking too much out of a $160 waterproof digital camera?

Thanks for the advice,
G

Grantc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2010   #2
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
Do you have it set to "auto" ?
Old 06-04-2010   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
I assume you have the X-560WP? I have the same and I have found the digital zoom reduces the picture quality pretty significantly. I try to never go beyond the 4x optical zoom and I try not to use any zoom if I can.

I used it quite a bit for skiing with mixed results. The camera does not seem to handle low light conditions too well. It has worked fine for me in the pool and rafting/kayaking.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2010   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I have the 850 version. I too get mixed results. the waterproofness is pretty bomber, but it needs a chance to dry out between uses. If kept in an always wet pfd, water will work its way in.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010   #5

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Still scared to take mine all the way into the drink, but the photos have been pretty good for me.
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Ryan: don't be afraid to get it wet. Just make sure to keep the seals clean and let it dry out. I literally keep mine in my pfd for weeks on end. I saw a little moisture inside after it spent weeks in the pfd with so much rain that it never dried out. 20 minutes open on the defroster and it was back in play.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010   #7
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Can you post some pictures so we can help?
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010   #8

Boulder, Colorado
I have a Stylus 1030. It survived the Grand Canyon in my pfd pocket.
Oly. recommends having the seals replaced annually. After 2 years I had mine done a couple months ago, it was $35 and it looks like they also replaced the whole back&LCD.
yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010   #9

Corvallis, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2003
Mine is the Stylus 550WP. The low light outdoors is also where I seem to have trouble. It seems when I turn the flash off it automatically slows the shutter speed down and thus blurry. I have mostly used it in "Auto" but been trying other settings to find the sweet spot.

G
Grantc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010   #10

Boulder, Colorado
I forgot to add that I also had many blurry shots trying to shoot stuff on the fly in rapids. The problem for me was focus lag - these things like you to hold the shutter button halfway down so they focus and then all the way down to shoot. If you just hammer down on the button it may not accurately focus, especialy if you;'re flailing around with the paddle one handed. Maybe I'm just awkward.
yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera