old vs new burn? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-30-2011   #1
gh

pnw, Colorado
old vs new burn?

I have an older Burn and was looking at getting a new one and I know they modified it some. Anybody paddled both and care to share their impressions of the changes?

Advertisement

Old 08-30-2011   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
This a good review with differences between the two, he is associated with them, but from what I know of Leland he is usually a good source of information:

The River Gypsies
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011   #3
gh

pnw, Colorado
Thanks, I had forgotten that Leland had reviewed the modifications.
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2011   #4

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
I paddled the old Burn, hated it, paddled a few more years, paddled a new Burn and bought it, surprising myself in the process. Some combination of better skills and softer rails combined to make the boat work for me. It'll float (over messy water) when you need that, and carve when you need it to. It's sorta strange how it all comes together.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011   #5

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I guess I'm crazy but it took me a long time to get back to the same level after switching to the new burn. Just like any other boat selection its a personal preference but given how differently the two burns paddle it seems weird to call them by the same name. My personal view: if you like hard edges, the old burn is better hands down. I always felt like my old burn would snap much harder into an out of eddies and I loved it. The new one's edges don't kick in until your thighs as opposed to the old one where they kicked in at your ankles or calves. Also the new one can't fit me and my Keen's as well as the old one which makes video boating and hardcore creeking difficult b/c I always have to take my shoes on and off when getting into or out of the new burn.

That being said, the new one has more secondary stability, rises out of boils a little better, and is way more comfortable on your shoulder (though still pretty terrible compared to most other creekers). To each his own.
Old 08-30-2011   #6

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilom View Post
That being said, the new one has more secondary stability, rises out of boils a little better, and is way more comfortable on your shoulder (though still pretty terrible compared to most other creekers). To each his own.
More comfy on your shoulder? Can you expound on that thought? Are you referring to the way that your shoulder is in use while paddling, or the carrying of the boat with your shoulder?
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011   #7

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Entirely referring to carrying the boat. The old burn has a sharp piece of plastic that you could theoretically drill holes in to adjust the thigh braces. The new one put a 1.5 inch flat nub on that piece so it doesn't dig in quite as bad but it still isn't exactly comfy. Wish I had pictures to show.
Old 09-03-2011   #8
gh

pnw, Colorado
Thanks for all the input, after paddling it today I would say your comments were dead on.