Old long boat for self support - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-18-2018   #1

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Old long boat for self support

Does anyone have any recommendations for older long boats with lots of room for gear? The newer crossovers look sweet but I’m a notorious cheap ass. Maybe a pirouette? Want a tornado if anyone has one collecting dust somewhere. Other suggestions?

D. Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2018   #2

Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Pretty much any of the Prijon boats from the T-Slalmon on up. I have an Eskimo Diablo that I can do a week out of probably a couple of days longer if I invest in some lighter, less bulkier gear. They have removable front bulk heads that makes packing a lot easier. They are also very tough and you can weld them in the field.
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018   #3

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
No, no, no! The T and pirouette will punish you for loading them. They are a SOB to pack and get good weight distribution. Find a pyranha M3 or newer, a diesel or mamba.

Old dancers, overflows, and such are worthless. if you must, maybe a dagger crossover or decent but, just say no to pre 2000...
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2018   #4

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
No, no, no! The T and pirouette will punish you for loading them. They are a SOB to pack and get good weight distribution. Find a pyranha M3 or newer, a diesel or mamba.

Old dancers, overflows, and such are worthless. if you must, maybe a dagger crossover or decent but, just say no to pre 2000...

So......... what you're saying is the Prijon Taifun I found will probably be the sickest boat ever?
D. Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018   #5

Bazzaro, Free
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Hippie View Post
So......... what you're saying is the Prijon Taifun I found will probably be the sickest boat ever?
Ummm... ya!

Anyone who paddles the "T" loaded with a couple days camping gear is a true hero soon the be legend for sure. You'd earn legendary status around 500 rivers miles. No questions asked. You'd feel the most joy in your hips, knees, and feet. It would be a full body high. One might describe the experience as "tingling" sensation every time you use the boat. This is where I need to make you aware of the addictive properties of your choice.

Anyway, a sick boat like that requires the sickist of skills. Just saying.

Old 03-19-2018   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I've got a friend that paddled a borrowed Prijon Yukon down the Chama at like 600..... it was challenging for him to move it around, but he did fine.

Generally speaking I would say that a skilled paddler you could use just about any big boat on bigger volume II/III. If you start running smaller volume trips or solid class IV rapids you will likely want a creeker or river runner of some kind. Something with solid support so it doesn't taco on you under the forces of heavy whitewater when loaded.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018   #7

basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Isn't there a more local forum you could be using? We don't like outsiders jamming up the threads here on the buzz. We prefer to leave them open for serious discussions about dangerously low snowpack, visuals on Escalante, (BTW i think it was in yesterday, tomorrow for sure), and general all around badassery boofingness. Please abide
T-Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018   #8

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Overflow or Overflow X are my choices for cheap long boats. I've done a few overnights in both models and they carry weight well.
kreykedj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018   #9

Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
What a bunch of whining short boat wimps. Pretty much all the multi day trips in the USA have been run "pre-2000" boats along with most of the Class V drops and rivers.
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018   #10

Bazzaro, Free
Whinney, that's funny, because those who are in the know, know to get something else for river running. It's like justifying the use of old inferior cheep used equipment because I have a personality disorder and someone else did it in a seal skinned kayak.

I have nothing against old school boats. Can a overflow float at river, hell ya. Any boat can. I just think the extra 200 bones for a boat with a big cock pit, more knees up position, extra space between the cock pit rim and seat for ease of access to storage, and a little wider boat for loaded stability is well worth the damage to the pocket book. That's all.

I totally agree that anything that I have ran has been done before in a dancer. But I would recommend something a bit newer in 2018. Hell, I still get the Waves sport sleek out and make a run or two, but for shits and giggles.. Not just because its that baddest machine on a wave. but it is..