Off-road GPS, specifically Grand Canyon - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-19-2011   #1

Lyons, Colorado
Off-road GPS, specifically Grand Canyon

I've always brought my GPS with me but I can't find it, it's really old and the technology has improved so much that I'm thinking of getting a new one.

A couple of years ago I futzed around with one at a sporting goods store and found one that had really good maps of the river. It had landmarks (like the graineries), rapids, a decent topo of the area zoomed in on.

The problem is I don't remember who made it. And the ones I looked at on Saturday weren't "live" just plastic demos.

I suspect it would be like driving on a highway if kept on the whole time (which I would not). All my notes are in my guide books but it would be handy as some of the interesting things are easy to zip by if you miss any landmark. Besides, they probably eat batteries like peanuts in the bar.

So what one would be the best?

tpribors is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2011   #2

Lyons, Colorado
The key seems to be the ability to download the 1:24000 maps to the unit. Given that, there are several choices from both Garmin and Magellan. Suggestions?
Old 07-20-2011   #3

Jenks, Oklahoma
I have a several year old Garmin 76 csx and it has been good.

If I were buying a GPS today it would be a Delorme due to the great topo sheets. more detail than any of the other GPS units that I have researched.

go to river maps web site and down load their GC waypoints and buy the map book which shows every thing in great detail, hikes, rapids, scenic points etc
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2011   #4

Lyons, Colorado
Thanks. What is the link to the river maps website? Google didn't help much.

Edit: I think I found it - rivermaps.com. I ordered the new Martin book from them but it's too big to use for the entire trip. It has great detail but doesn't fit in an ammo can.
Old 07-20-2011   #5

Lyons, Colorado
I have the Stevens strip map book with 5 trips worth of notes. including GPS positions of interesting stops. The problem is that the river isn't a straight line so reckoning based on lat/long doesn't get you much.

Also, I used my old primitive GPS (which was just location). Can I put in waypoints based on lat/long positions??? That would be way cool.
Old 07-20-2011   #6

Jenks, Oklahoma
go here

GPS Waypoints

for the waypoints based on the rivermaps GC book. Just down load them and load into your GPS, I am not a GPS expert, but they should work on even a old model GPS.

If you do not have your original GPS manual see if you can google to find it and/or look at some of the gps message boards for help.

by the way I think most of those rivermaps are water resistant. When I did GC a year or so ago, I just stuck the rivermaps book on top of my cooler under a cam strap.
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011   #7
o_O

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
If you are planning on getting a new GPS, read the specs on the models and make sure you can receive the Russian satellite network (GLONAS) as well as the US (GPS). This will effectively DOUBLE the amount of satellites in the sky at any given time. Would be a real nice fit with deep canyons.

I use a super nice 2008 Trimble Geo XH at work and it cannot talk to the GLONAS satellites. So, this is a relatively new feature and not all GPS units will have it. Do some homework first.
Old 07-22-2011   #8

Lyons, Colorado
I already ordered a Garmin Oregon 450 with the 4-corners 12K topo map pack.
Old 07-26-2011   #9

Lyons, Colorado
I loaded it up with the Topos and the RiverMaps.net waypoints and Holy Cow! What a sweet little device.