Ocelot or Wave Destroyer for Class IV pool/drop? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-19-2010   #1

Groveland, California
Ocelot or Wave Destroyer for Class IV pool/drop?

I am buying my first cat, the Air Ocelot has been recomended as a good fit for my use by Aire and a boat vendor. (Planned use is solo day trips on the Tuolumne and other Class IV CA rivers.) Looking for some insight to make sure I am laying my hard earned cash out for the right boat.

It seems that many people are using WD's on less than the "continuous class V" runs for which the boats were designed with good results.

What is it that would make either the Ocelot or WD a better choice for Class IV pool drop rivers?

HPMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2010   #2

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPMG View Post
I am buying my first cat, the Air Ocelot has been recomended as a good fit for my use by Aire and a boat vendor. (Planned use is solo day trips on the Tuolumne and other Class IV CA rivers.) Looking for some insight to make sure I am laying my hard earned cash out for the right boat.

It seems that many people are using WD's on less than the "continuous class V" runs for which the boats were designed with good results.

What is it that would make either the Ocelot or WD a better choice for Class IV pool drop rivers?
I have a friend who got a WD this spring (Lochsa), and he said Aire said the same thing. Not good for pool drop. WTF? I don't get it. I really don't care how my Class IV boat handles the flats. I got it to handle the rapids. If you're planning on boating Class IV, get the WD, not the Ocelot.

But you should really be considering a Sotar Legend . (we've not that debate in, oh, about 2 months maybe?).
Old 08-19-2010   #3

at my house, Montana
Quote:

I have a friend who got a WD this spring (Lochsa), and he said Aire said the same thing. Not good for pool drop. WTF? I don't get it. I really don't care how my Class IV boat handles the flats. I got it to handle the rapids. If you're planning on boating Class IV, get the WD, not the Ocelot.

But you should really be considering a Sotar Legend . (we've not that debate in, oh, about 2 months maybe?).
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2010   #4

Groveland, California
So the only negative to the Wave Destroyer would be the rocker/shorter waterline making it slower on the flats? If that's the case, I can live with it.

I know....Legend....they sure do have a following. I have several other Aire products, and have been very happy with them. Guess I'm stuck in a rut, but would like to get another.
Old 08-19-2010   #5

billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
I have a 14' wd destroyer, and would not recommend it for carrying a whole lot of load on any water. It becomes a balancing act dependent on the position of the rower. The rocker/short water line of the boat makes it very sensitive to the load center. If you plan on longer/loaded trips I think you would be better suited to the ocelot. The ocelot has only 3" less rise at the tips and slightly more water line, it will handle fun water with ease,too. If you want a REEEEAAAL white water craft, don't settle for anything less than a wave destroyer! (take that Laura)
mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010   #6

Groveland, California
The cat will be just for solo play, I don't think I will ever load it up with anything more than safety gear/lunch...I have a 14' raft for that. I just thought the WD might be a bit more sporty and fun as a "play" boat over the Ocelot.
Old 08-20-2010   #7

at my house, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mttodd View Post
I have a 14' wd destroyer, and would not recommend it for carrying a whole lot of load on any water. It becomes a balancing act dependent on the position of the rower. The rocker/short water line of the boat makes it very sensitive to the load center. If you plan on longer/loaded trips I think you would be better suited to the ocelot. The ocelot has only 3" less rise at the tips and slightly more water line, it will handle fun water with ease,too. If you want a REEEEAAAL white water craft, don't settle for anything less than a wave destroyer! (take that Laura)
Todd that's weird. I do multidays with 14'-15' WD's and they are fine. However, most of them put drybags on the tubes in front of the cockpit for load balance. Maybe they are more sensitive but this seems to work. I even tried it on my Legend in May, and was happy with the improved performance of my Legend. Amazing, how can a Legend improve performance ! I load that sucker up for 6-7 day runs (Including running Dagger fully loaded) and it is SWEET. But, the WD's I'm with feel the same way.

Another reason to go to the WD vs Ocelot is what if you decide to get into Class V? I never intended to, but that's what I'm doing. Getting the WD you'll be much more inclined to do so.

Based on what Todd says, I'd get a Legend! Keep in mind a 12.5' Legend is comparable to a 14' WD, if you are interested.

We have a raft too, but I take my cat on spring trips, the raft is more for family trips.
Old 08-20-2010   #8

Groveland, California
Quote:
Keep in mind a 12.5' Legend is comparable to a 14' WD
Comparable waterline?
Old 08-20-2010   #9

at my house, Montana
Quote:
Comparable waterline?
Kind of, but that spec (length) is only a piece of the puzzle. The Legend also has a larger blunt section (the bottom when it curves up) so it behaves like a larger boat. The WD has gotten more sleek (pencil-like?), so it seems to me it's getting to be more and more like a smaller boat. The curved bottom of the WD also makes it easier to pivot as a larger boat, when compared to the flatter bottom of the Legend.

My personal opinion- A day playboat is the Legend. That's what I have and I love it. I will stick with it for single-person multidays (up to 8 days maybe) If/when I go for a bigger gear or tandem boat, I'll be looking at the WD (probably 15').

I think this year's WD got really pencily looking. Just too skinny in the nose, making it squirrely. I know some guys who do some proto testing for Aire, and are really happy with what they've tested this year. I've heard statments to the effect that they are really close to "the" design. FWIW. But you know how we all are, if you love Aire, you love Aire. If you love Sotar you love Sotar. There are exceptions (namely check out Shelly's "Going Feral" video - especially if you are just getting into cat boating) but for the most part we all love our boats.
Old 08-21-2010   #10

Groveland, California
I see what you mean now.

I'll look closer at the 12.5 Legend it would be nice to have a shorter OAL, but Ford/Chevy....hmmm, sometimes it's hard to switch.

One thing I don't understand is how Sotar's bladder/liner system works. Must be similar to Aire, but without access to repair it if damaged?

I ordered "Year of the Cat, Going Feral", thanks for the tip. Look forward to checking it out.

Tags
class iv