Oars and Oar blades - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-25-2010   #1

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Oars and Oar blades

Greetings
I'm completing my first season rafting--16ft Hyside---and was wondering about oar and blade stiffness.
I'm now using Sawyer Polecats with the Cat Magnum Blades. I notice considerable flex with this combination. This wastes effort and also performance(I'm thinking--especially with a load). I've read the past posts related to this.
Would using a stiffer blade such as a Sawyer V-Pro Ash, the Dynalite, or Razor reduce some of the flex?

Colorado Ice

Colorado Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2010   #2

Jenks, Oklahoma
my favorite combo is cataract oar shaft and carlise heavy duty outfitter grade blades.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010   #3

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post
my favorite combo is cataract oar shaft and carlise heavy duty outfitter grade blades.

yup...

and fyi, i have broken all but 1 of every magnum blade i have ever had.
MountainMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2010   #4

Costa Mesa, California
Paddling Since: 1985
I like Cataract Shafts with Sawyer V -Pro Ash Oar Blade

studytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010   #5

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post
This is what I use too. But flexibility is one of the advantages of the Cataract shafts--as well as the shafts you are using. If you want a stiff, inflexible oar shaft, look at Carlisle. The manufacturers of the composite shafts are attempting to replicate the flexibility of wooden oars. You don't waste any of your stroke on flexibility. The flexibility of the shaft merely evens out the effect of your effort.
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010   #6

Nosebleed, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
I too have many broken magnum blades in the junk pile. I've got cat shafts and carlile outfitters now. Won't get anymore cat shafts though--they sink.
funrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010   #7

Costa Mesa, California
Paddling Since: 1985
They dont sink if they're teathered in.
studytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010   #8

Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
The correct amount of flex is important. I don't know if you fly fish or ski or anything like that but think in terms of storing energy in the flexed shaft to be released at the optimum time. Much like you "load" a fly rod when casting. With the weight of the line flexing the rod and then the foreword motion at the proper time all of the energy is transferred to the line. flex the shaft, finish the stroke smoothly and follow through. Just because your oar shaft is bending doesn't mean your losing energy.
ngeoym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010   #9

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Ditto what the above folks have said about flex. That being said .... Cataract makes two models of oar shafts. The SGG is what most folks use. It's designed to flex & rebound similar to a wood oar shaft. The SGX is supposed to be 33% stiffer.
I've used SGG oars with Carlisle outfitters blades for many years. Never had an oar or blade break, even with yearly bump & grinds down the Middle Fork at low water. My rowing buddy likes the same set-up as Studytime (Cataract shafts with Sawyer blades) for his 16 ft. Willy 2.
Maybe you could hit up some rafting friends and try out some different oars to see how you feel about a stiffer oar.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010   #10
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Quote:
Originally Posted by studytime View Post
I like Cataract Shafts with Sawyer V -Pro Ash Oar Blade
+1

I have broken magnums, carlisle, polecat blades to smithereens. pro-V is the only blade to survive. wood for the win.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blade