Oarlocks, bending, oars, etc. - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-27-2009   #1

Calgary, Alberta
Oarlocks, bending, oars, etc.

I'm a noob, but I've been doing some reading.

I'm looking at building a frame for a small and fairly cheap raft that came with small oars... like 1 1/8" diameter... and I'm wondering how much I can bend brass oar-locks so that I can maybe use them instead of the cheap Carlisle clamping oarlock. I could do a rope wrap to make them thicker, but I still wonder if I can get standard oar locks to fit properly on such a small oar. There are not many options for oarlocks that I can find that have a 5/8" shank to fit the NRS oar mounts, and I can't seem to find any oar mounts with a 1/2" shank that don't require being screwed into something solid (and most likely wood).

Or perhaps this is a waste of time since the oars are far shorter than is recomended for my 4' wide boat? The oars I have are about 5' long, and from what I've read, 7' is recommended. These are what came with the raft, but it also didn't come with a frame. I only intend to take the raft on class II, maybe one day, class III, so nothing has to be too intense.

I'm trying to do this on the cheap and would like to not have to buy new oars as well.

Any ideas or suggestions?

cupido76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2009   #2
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
please post a pic of the boat/oars, the cheapest thing to do is to use your 5 foot oars as Paddles and R2 if it is that small.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009   #3

Calgary, Alberta
The boat is in Intex Mariner...

http://www.seahawk500.com/contents/m...rinerlarge.jpg

I bought what I thought were better oars from a local camping shop, but they're still not great from what I can gather. I don't have pics of them at work right now (will try to post soon), but they're a little longer, two-piece, and have a slightly narrower blade.

I'm planning on doing conservatively supplied multi-day trips on gentle rivers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2009   #4

Rafter Town, California
Paddling Since: 08
Oars guy

Hey guy, I have a paid of wooden Smoker brands oars 6.5' long I believe--already rope wrapped--pefect for you. $59 for the pair! Want pics? IM me. thanks
rafterman2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009   #5
Casey

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1974
fatten up the oars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupido76 View Post
I'm a noob, but I've been doing some reading.

I'm looking at building a frame for a small and fairly cheap raft that came with small oars... like 1 1/8" diameter... and I'm wondering how much I can bend brass oar-locks so that I can maybe use them instead of the cheap Carlisle clamping oarlock. I could do a rope wrap to make them thicker, but I still wonder if I can get standard oar locks to fit properly on such a small oar. There are not many options for oarlocks that I can find that have a 5/8" shank to fit the NRS oar mounts, and I can't seem to find any oar mounts with a 1/2" shank that don't require being screwed into something solid (and most likely wood).

Or perhaps this is a waste of time since the oars are far shorter than is recomended for my 4' wide boat? The oars I have are about 5' long, and from what I've read, 7' is recommended. These are what came with the raft, but it also didn't come with a frame. I only intend to take the raft on class II, maybe one day, class III, so nothing has to be too intense.

I'm trying to do this on the cheap and would like to not have to buy new oars as well.

Any ideas or suggestions?
The easiest and cheapest way to build up the shaft of your oars is to use a piece of pvc pipe. Cut a 16 or 18 inch piece lengthways, slide it down the oar shaft and if needed secure it with a small screw and a bit of epoxy. You can use the rubber oarstops at the handle end of the pvc.
skixc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009   #6

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by skixc View Post
The easiest and cheapest way to build up the shaft of your oars is to use a piece of pvc pipe. Cut a 16 or 18 inch piece lengthways, slide it down the oar shaft and if needed secure it with a small screw and a bit of epoxy. You can use the rubber oarstops at the handle end of the pvc.

Thanks for the idea... that does sound cheap and easy <insert snickering here>.

Any comment on how far I can take this? I.e. should I use this method (probably more than one layer) to make the oar thick enough to fit in a standard oarlock or is this just getting silly now?