Oarlocks - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-14-2009   #1

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
Oarlocks

Does anyone know if there are oarlocks that are longer than the standard nrs or cobra?

my "towers" are fixed to the frame so I can't raise or lower them and am trying to figure out a way to get the oars up higher so I could put a seat on the frame or drybox. the way i've got it set up now is fine sitting on a plywood platform or drybox depending on the trip,but if I raise the drybox too high off the floor I find the oars wack my knees. I'm thinking this is what would happen if I put a seat in and effectively raised my a$$ up a couple more inches.

I've seen some pins that seem to have longer lengths, but don't want to use a pin/clip setup.

I was thinking that if I could find some oarlocks that have a longer shaft I could get the result I'm looking for.

oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2009   #2

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
I've never seen tall oarlocks. Seems they would be prone to getting bent. If your oar towers are fixed you may have to cut them off and get taller ones. You might also consider shorter oars to change the geometry and get them off your knees.
Wadeinthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I've got a similar situation with my raft. I tried to raise my oar pivot point with the nrs springs. usually they go below the oar tower but I put mine above to try and raise my oarlock. it isn't much but worth a try before you cut your towers off. otherwise a shorter shaft would raise your hand grips.
coloradopaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2009   #4

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Your are ripe to bend the oarlock shaft if you raise it above the oarlock. Not a problem unless something happens, but it is something to keep in mind. If you're going to raise it, I'd use washers instead of the springs, just so it is more solid. Other than that, maybe a local welder could cut off what you have and extend it somehow?
Old 08-15-2009   #5

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
This set up is custom made 18 yrs.ago. The shaft mover up and down by about six inches
Attached Images

raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009   #6

thornton, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
This set up is custom made 18 yrs.ago. The shaft mover up and down by about six inches
I should say the whole two inch sleave moves up and down by six inches.
Old 08-22-2009   #7

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
I make them to 16" in the 1.5" pipe size (1.9" o.d.)
garystrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009   #8

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
Thanks all. I'd seen the pins that were different length before and raymo's setup looks like it would work, but I don't use pin/clip. I thought there might be someting else out there .

I also saw a frame like mine that had welded plates and a tower where the superston oar towers may once have been, but I don't think I'm into having the frame cut and re-welded just to gain an inch or two.

As far as the oar-length goes, I went from 9' to 10' this year and really like the longer length, it seems to give me more power. I'll have to put the 9' back on and see what it does around the knees. As WITW said, playing with the geo-metry might help.

For now I'll just enjoy sitting low, it'e really not bad, I was just thinking of getting a seat.
oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009   #9

thornton, Colorado
The pin comes out and can be replaced with the horse shoe type. They were pricey, about 550.00$ back then.