Oarlock to floor measurement? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-22-2013   #1
Working to much

Vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Oarlock to floor measurement?

What is your oarlock to floor measurement?

I had a custom frame made and my oars hit my knees pretty bad. We need to move the locks up obviously, even though it was the "normal" height he makes. Something was different with my frame.

After the last trip we measured the floor to oarlock height on my Osprey, and then the Otter they rented. Interestingly my floor-to-lock height is two inches shorter, which is difference I think I need to raise mine.
So out of curiosity, what is your measurement?

liftedlimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2013   #2

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by liftedlimo View Post
What is your oarlock to floor measurement?

I had a custom frame made and my oars hit my knees pretty bad. We need to move the locks up obviously, even though it was the "normal" height he makes. Something was different with my frame.

After the last trip we measured the floor to oarlock height on my Osprey, and then the Otter they rented. Interestingly my floor-to-lock height is two inches shorter, which is difference I think I need to raise mine.
So out of curiosity, what is your measurement?
I'm not familiar with an Osprey? What size raft is this, and what size tubes? Are you rowing from a seat, cooler, dry box? What kind of frame are you using? How tall are you?
These answers will help in figuring out your problem. Many times, it's the height of what you're rowing from combined with your height that can cause a problem.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013   #3
Working to much

Vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
The NRS Osprey is a high rocker/shorter waterline, narrower Urethane boat that is now out of production.
Mine is the 13.5 foot, 18" tubes version.

This is my frame. I am currently sitting on a low back seat, but a dry box eventuality that will raise my seat height more. I have read most of the threads on MountianBuzz on frame geometry, and my conclusion is just to raise my oarlocks. What got me thinking was on the Otter the floor was farther from the seat so your legs sit farther down. Then on my boat my knees are a few inches higher up.

liftedlimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2013   #4

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Ok, so I think it may be because your raft has 18 inch tubes. The Otter 13 also has 18 inch tubes, and the Otter 14 has 20 inch tubes. Since you have a solid frame, there's not much you can do to move stuff around. You're already sitting low on the frame, and you can't move your foot bar to lower your leg/knee position. So raising your oarlocks appears to be your best bet. With that type of oarlock, I think you can stack some washers to raise it? Hopefully someone who's dealt with this issue will chime in with a suggestion.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013   #5

Denver, Colorado
Are you a tall person? Where do your feet go? Would moving your seat back lower your knees? I'd kind of like to see a photo of your boat on dry land, with you in the seat, with oars in place.
ridecats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013   #6

Cottonwood Heights, Utah
Paddling Since: 1972
Try shorter oars, changes the angle.
mgpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013   #7

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Get longer oarlocks with more spacer. Or get taller towers welded in

25" on the big boat w 24" tubes. Don't know off hand on the 13'
spider is offline   Reply With Quote