Oar wrap vs sleeve - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-10-2009   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Oar wrap vs sleeve

Just wondering what people's thoughts were on andvantages/disadvantages of wrapping an oar or just putting on a sleeve??

Advertisement

Old 12-10-2009   #2
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
the sleeves have bolts that can work loose, especially if you move them repeatedly for different frames or rowers. you can add an oar stopper (not oarright) over the sleeve to help keep it in place.

the rope wrap can become compressed over time right at the oarlock and can thus slip out when you don't want them and the rubber doughnuts tend to move over time as well.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #3

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
I've had wraps before. They lasted me about 2 seasons before they became compressed and eventually unraveled. It's not the end-of-the-world, but it was pretty inconvenient to have to hold it together with duct tape on a long trip. They also go caught in the tips my oar locks - and that always happens at the worst possible time. I've since switched back to plastic sleeves and have not had any trouble. They have moved on me a couple times, but usually only a little bit and it's a quick fix to tight them down. It would be easy to prevent that by just putting a small wrap of duct tap on the oar shaft right above the sleeve - or anything else that would prevent the sleeve from slipping. If you use a set screw in your oar rights, that should also keep them in place.
jmcdannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2009   #4
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I wrapped my oars with a slightly larger diameter cord than Sawyer sells/recommends and it was the best way to go. They fit snugly in the locks, were still easy to feather, and lasted about 1,000 miles when I sold them - and were still in great condition. The trick is pulling the tail through several wraps at the end. I have a trick with the arched handle of a spoon that will get the wrap super tight. The thin layer of epoxy under the wrap helps it stick, and oozes between the coils, keeping it tight. It will all peel off smooth when you need to replace the wrap after 10 years. Finish with a coat of spar varnish for UV protection and you're good to go. Poly rope has high abrasion resistance, but low UV protection, nylon is vice versa. Since there isn't a product that increases abrasion resistance, it's best to use poly rope (in the tightest weave you can find) and treat it for sun protection. The spar varnish will be a good purchase if you decide to build your own decking for your cat too.

Plastic sleeves are stupid, ghetto, and require too much constant attention to keep your blades straight. You want to be able to drop or ship the oars and still find them in the right position when you need them.

Hope you guys are having a good winter. I'm home with a hurt back tinkering on the internet, so if you want some help with the project I'm nothing but free lately...

~R
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #5

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
I like the idea of larger diameter and it sounds like UV protection would have helped me in the past. I'm not sure I agree that sleeves are stupid and ghetto - they are bomber and effective and I don't see any disadvantage to shipping or dropping oars with a plastic sleeve. Now decking a cat - that's stupid and ghetto. (ok, you should realize I'm not THAT opinionated about having a deck on a cat - but my 12.5 legend will always be run sans floor. I'll run a floor in < IV in my 16' cat for convenience. But when safety and flip recovery are a concern, floors are death traps, IMHO. /disclaimer)
jmcdannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #6

Heyburn Idaho, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2009
I'm new here But i might offer a thought I ran across a place a while ago that said after you get your wraps tight cover the last inch and one inch of the shaft with heat shrink tubing, well actually do it on both ends it helps the oar to slide in and out of the lock without hanging up and also keeps the rope compressed and in place. I don't have any experience with this but it makes sense. you can get a foot of the 3 to 1 3" tubing for about 5 bucks at most commercial electric supply
Adrenaline Junkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #7

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Thread Drift:

Randy- sorry to hear your back is demo-ed. It can be pretty close to hell on earth. I've had some similar issues over the years.

A short bit of rest is good, but active management (stretching, exercise, avoiding the stuff that injured you) is best in the long term.

Anyhow, I don't feel your pain at the moment. But I do hope you manage to beat it.

Back to the chase:

I like wood oars and rope wraps are a good match. With aluminum, fiberglass, or carbon fibre shafts, sleeves seem like a decent choice.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #8

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Josh! Just had to say welcome to the Buzz.
Old 12-10-2009   #9

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
Hope you guys are having a good winter. I'm home with a hurt back tinkering on the internet, so if you want some help with the project I'm nothing but free lately...

~R
Hmmm, I seem to remember some long ago promises of a TR and photos???? Beuller?

Hope the back comes along, I know how that can suck.
Old 12-10-2009   #10
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Hey y'all. The back is fine. Just a muscle pull. And you've got me lhowemt. I have free time. I'll type a trip report and post some photos tomorrow. Chip, you're the man. Promise me we'll boat this summer. I'll bring my dogs too.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote