Oar towers - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-31-2012  

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Oar towers

So here's my idea, tell me what you think, pro's and con's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-03-31 17.18.29.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	486.7 KB
ID:	4474   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-03-31 17.17.46.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	486.5 KB
ID:	4475  

Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012  

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Bad idea. Nrs will spin. Too hard to tighten securely. The lowpro will dig into the tubes at the angle you need. Use a speedrail with a couple extra threaded holes for the fasteners

And get your eye fixed its freaking me out
Old 03-31-2012  

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I applaud your thinking. I'd love to have those oar towers with the option of a U-bolt attachment. However, I'm with Avatard. The bulk of the LoPro pressing into your tubes will probably limit the angle of use. I'm not sure about the spinning part, as I've never experienced any movement with my NRS towers.
Give us a report if you give this idea a test drive.
KJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012  

Idaho, Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shlitzenturkey View Post
So here's my idea, tell me what you think, pro's and con's.

Been there, done that, these are old style NRS oar towers, made before the current cast models. I put in longer pieces of tubing for some taller mounts on my Aire Traveler. On small tubed boats like the Traveler, tall oar towers really help to keep the oars from bangin your knees and also make entry/exit easier. I first made them extra long and cut them more than once until I got it right at 11" but you could also weld them together if you know the length needed. I liked them so much I made another set at 10" for my Super Puma. Yours look like a Clavey/NRS combo and should work fine but you do need to know how to use a wrench.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	547.4 KB
ID:	4476   Click image for larger version

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	552.7 KB
ID:	4477  

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	527.7 KB
ID:	4478  
Old 03-31-2012  

Durango, Colorado
Flip your LoPro's 180 degrees from what you have displayed in the photo and mount them at a slight angle so they won't rub on the tubes. Cut a strip of hypalon to fit against the inside of the cast piece of the LoPro so it gives some extra grip to the siderail.

My $.02
Old 04-01-2012  

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Looks a lot like the towers I put together for my 15' cat. I cross drilled both ends of the riser tube to lock the fittings in place. 2 years going and no problems with them spinning or moving while in use. The LowPros don't crush the tubes. Easy to adjust and customize in the field.

The LowPros tighten much more securely than the Speedrail fittings and don't dimple the tubes, plus you can add them to a tube mid length and not have to thread them over the end.
Old 04-01-2012  

Idaho, Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by storm11 View Post
Flip your LoPro's 180 degrees from what you have displayed in the photo and mount them at a slight angle so they won't rub on the tubes. Cut a strip of hypalon to fit against the inside of the cast piece of the LoPro so it gives some extra grip to the siderail.

My $.02
Yes, what storm said- your photos are showing the lo pro fitting installed backwards. I also have not had a problem with rubbing or wear. This is the way NRS originally made their oarstands and while the newer cast models may be an improvement in some ways, they are no longer adjustable for length and their "tall" 8" model is often not tall enough.
Old 04-01-2012  

New Castle, Colorado
Thanks for all the feedback, I agree that the LoPro should be rotated. As far as damage to the side rail, I can't see it doing any more or less than the cast towers from NRS, and it's got to be stronger than the speed rail set screws. Plus I hate the little divits they leave. It's interesting that that's how NRS used to sell their towers, I wonder why they changed. I'll post some pics when I figure out what the hell I'm doing.

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shlitzenturkey
Thanks for all the feedback, I agree that the LoPro should be rotated. As far as damage to the side rail, I can't see it doing any more or less than the cast towers from NRS, and it's got to be stronger than the speed rail set screws. Plus I hate the little divits they leave. It's interesting that that's how NRS used to sell their towers, I wonder why they changed. I'll post some pics when I figure out what the hell I'm doing.
Its obvious why they changed. A single casting is a lot less parts and can be made a lot stronger than separate parts. The only thing they lost was the ability to offer more than two sizes

My concern is not with damage to the sidewall its potential damage to the boat if it slips/spins. The cast nrs towers have a lot more surface contact to minimize the chance of it slipping
Old 04-01-2012  

Boise, Idaho
My brother and I have just finished stress-testing materials for an internal oar tower bushing and are currently in the design phase of an oar tower prototype...I'll post pictures in a week or two when we have a completed tower.