Oar size difference - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-06-2010   #1

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2000
Oar size difference

i have been rafting for a few years with my friends equipment. I just bought a 14 by 6'6 foot raft and was wondering what size of oars i should purchase. What is the difference between between the sizes?

I could get any help possible thanks

Garrett Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2010   #2

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...gth-28644.html
Old 04-07-2010   #3

loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadeinthewater View Post
When you start looking through previous threads, you'll find there is a lot to the setup of oars. I'm just starting to learn, but a starting point is to measure the distance between oar locks (say 63" as an example), subtract a few inches to allow for some separation of the oars (63"-3"=60"), divide by 2 to get the equal length of each oar (60"/2=30"). Now use the general rule of thumb that there is 1/3 of the total oar inside the oarlock and 2/3 outside, so multiply by 3 to get total oar length (30"x3=90"). This example would start at 90"oars. Hope my math is correct, still on the first cup of coffee.
cpollema is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2010   #4

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpollema View Post
This example would start at 90"oars. Hope my math is correct, still on the first cup of coffee.
90" = 7 1/2 ft oars? Really? Better have another cup. It is a little more complicated than the above math. Other factors are the size of the tubes, height of the oar stands, placement of the oar stands on the frame, height of your seat, your body size and your personal preferences. Without knowing all of this I would still guess 9 feet, but you could prefer oars anywhere between 10 feet and 8 feet. Borrow some and try them out.
Old 04-07-2010   #5

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
If you sit directly on the frame cross bars, I'd say 9.5'. If you sit up on a cooler or drybox, 10'. I sit on a cooler and use 10' oars, but keep in mind I like my oars on the long side (lots of power, but you've got to have the power yourself). If you prefer shorter oars take 6" off each of these lengths and you'd probably be good.
Old 04-07-2010   #6

Denver, Colorado
Not to sound like a total n00b, but well I am... When talking oar length does a "9ft oar" refer to the length of JUST the oar shaft, or the shaft + the blade.

The reason I'm asking is, if you are recommending this person gets a 9ft oar, would he be shopping for a 9ft shaft, or a shaft+blade combination that would add up to 9ft. Trying to wrap my head around all the info on here as I'll be buying some really soon as well. Thanks!
Old 04-07-2010   #7

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Oars are labeled and sold as "full length", which includes the lenth of the blade. A 10' oar shaft will not be actually 10' long in the store, since it is without the blade.
Old 04-07-2010   #8

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
Oars are labeled and sold as "full length", which includes the lenth of the blade. A 10' oar shaft will not be actually 10' long in the store, since it is without the blade.
Awesome thanks, that is exactly why I asked. I'd have never known that.
Old 04-07-2010   #9

loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadeinthewater View Post
90" = 7 1/2 ft oars? Really? Better have another cup. It is a little more complicated than the above math. Other factors are the size of the tubes, height of the oar stands, placement of the oar stands on the frame, height of your seat, your body size and your personal preferences. Without knowing all of this I would still guess 9 feet, but you could prefer oars anywhere between 10 feet and 8 feet. Borrow some and try them out.
Ok...looked at the math and YES really. 7.5' oars for the example given. But if you would have had your coffee and paid attention, you would have noted that the example used 63" between oar stands. That would not be the case for the boat mentioned above, but I wanted to use easy numbers to demonstrate the math.
Since you can't seem to figure that out, let's do it again with a more typical value for the boat given above. This time I will use 78" between oar stands instead of 63" and I'll skip the step by step...the answer is 113" or about 9.5' oars. Not any more complicated and it gives a better answer than "anywhere between 10 to 8 feet" reply you gave...which is completely useless to someone asking about oar length.
cpollema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #10
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
FWIW- I have the exact same size boat as yours and after using 10' oars for one weekend on the Dolores I shipped them back and got 9' oars- couldn't be happier.
"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote