Oar lock tower options for a Salmon River Expedition frame - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 07-07-2012   #1

Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2004
Oar lock tower options for a Salmon River Expedition frame

I just got this frame and I seem to have underestimated how much the extra height from sitting on a dry box would affect my stroke. Even though the drybox is only two inches above the plywood seat on my old frame and the oarlocks are the same height I am wishing the oar locks were 6-10" taller.

With the Cambridge Salmon River Expedition frame is there an extension I can use to get the extra height, or am I going to need to switch to a pins and clips setup to get it?

I already have money in oar stoppers, oar rights, and oarlocks so I would prefer to stick with these if I can swing it.

Kyle

Wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2012   #2

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Something doesnt seem right about your numbers. If you draw similar triangles and raise yourself 2" then your towers should be about 1" higher and your oars 6" or a foot longer. If you raised your towers 2" you would get the same knee clearance but the handles would seem to be more up in your face

How long are your oars (including blades)? How far down the shaft is the pivot point? How big are the tubes in your raft? What is the center to center of your oarlocks? How high exactly is your seat off the tubes? and the center of the oar where it sits in the oarlocks off the tubes
Old 07-07-2012   #3

Bellingham, Washington
I agree it is odd. I didn't think such a minor change would have such a big effect on how it feels. Some of it might just be in my head but after posting this I realized I also take a wider stance with my feet in the stirrups in the old frame than I can in the new one. One way or another I am banging my knees when rowing bigger water (note I said bigger and not big!).

The boat is a NRS Scout.

The tubes are 20", the oars are 10 ft (a little long for the boat, but they came with it and I kept them because I plan on going to a 16' boat fairly soon), the seat is 5.88" off the tubes (higher than I originally thought), the center of the oarlocks to the tubes is 9" (9.94" if you go from the center of the actual oar to the tube), and the pivot point is 34.25" from the end of the oar's handle. I am not sure what you mean by center to center of the oarlocks, but measuring from the wear points roughly in the middle of the oarlock channel to the wear spot on the opposite oarlock is 75".

Kyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2012   #4

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggins
I agree it is odd. I didn't think such a minor change would have such a big effect on how it feels. Some of it might just be in my head but after posting this I realized I also take a wider stance with my feet in the stirrups in the old frame than I can in the new one. One way or another I am banging my knees when rowing bigger water (note I said bigger and not big!).

The boat is a NRS Scout.

The tubes are 20", the oars are 10 ft (a little long for the boat, but they came with it and I kept them because I plan on going to a 16' boat fairly soon), the seat is 5.88" off the tubes (higher than I originally thought), the center of the oarlocks to the tubes is 9" (9.94" if you go from the center of the actual oar to the tube), and the pivot point is 34.25" from the end of the oar's handle. I am not sure what you mean by center to center of the oarlocks, but measuring from the wear points roughly in the middle of the oarlock channel to the wear spot on the opposite oarlock is 75".

Kyle
So how much actually did the seat raise? Are you seated further back or forward and why did your stance change (what lifts your knees up?)

I'll get specs off my boat similar setup (10' oars, 72" nrs frame) -- the base of my seat is about 5" above the top of the tube (including frame tube thickness) I run 8" nrs towers--- but a big diff is my cat tubes are 26.5" which means my oars pivot is about 6" higher off the water meaning i dont have to push down as much to get the blades out of the water. I also use a wide stance wedging my feet in the ends of the nrs yokes
Old 07-07-2012   #5

Bellingham, Washington
Thanks.

The foot bars on my old frame ran the width of my boat. Since the distance between the seat and the foot bars was only about 20" I took a pretty open legged rowing position. I think now that I may have actually had my knees closer to the oar locks and therefore had more clearance. Combine this with a 5" change in the height of my seat (my old frame has a plywood seat bolted to the frame) and I am starting to see why I have a problem! My new frameis 27" from the foot bars to the seat. I have plenty of room while my stroke is up towards my knees, but I run out of it quickly when I am moving the oars around back towards my thighs so I think it is really more of a seat height to oar tower height issue.

Kyle