Oar keeps getting stuck in my lock. - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-06-2011   #1

Boise, Idaho
Oar keeps getting stuck in my lock.

Hi all, this last trip I had some technical issues with my setup. I am running cataract shafts, molded oar sleeves, NRS 6" oar mounts, and NRS oarlocks. For whatever reason, my hard strokes both forward and back were causing the sleeve to wedge into the top of the lock causing it to be stuck and occasionally popping the oar out of the lock. I am thinking my oar mounts are too short and I need to upgrade to the 8" ones. I had issues being able to keep my oar blades above the water on my "recoil" stroke. Any thoughts as to why this might be happening or to determine if I have the wrong oar mount length?

-Kevin

mora2818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2011   #2

Redstone, CO
Paddling Since: 2000
This sounds like two separate issues to me.

As far as the oars getting stuck, or popping out of the locks, you might need to bend them back closed a little. Once your oars pop out of the locks, the "horns" are most likely spread a little too far open. The horns should not allow your oars to move between them enough to get stuck. Take a hammer or a rock and close them a little. I have done this with the oar in the lock for reference (remove the lock from the tower and go slow).

Regarding not being able to get your blades far enough out of the water, you probably could use taller towers. A few questions to help us understand: What is your frame width? What is your tube diameter? What is your oar length?

-RK
Kendarflugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011   #3

Costa Mesa, California
Paddling Since: 1985
Remeber when pounding your oar locks closed to hit them from the top so not to ovalize them.
studytime is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2011   #4

Boise, Idaho
What is your frame width? 60"
What is your tube diameter? 20"
What is your oar length? 9'
mora2818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011   #5

Redstone, CO
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mora2818 View Post
Nothing looks out of the ordinary with these numbers to me. I'm still thinking you're on the right track about taller oar towers. I had the same problem with my old cat w/ 22" tubes & 6" NRS towers. I now have a different cat w/ a different tower height, seat height, and oar length, so I don't have a straight fix for you. One problem is that if you get taller towers, you may need longer oars so your oar angle isn't too steep (or your handles aren't too high) with the blades in the water. I'd recommend borrowing taller towers for a trial run, if you can, to see how it feels.
Kendarflugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011   #6

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Ive been told to take the oarlocks out and gently ping them against a rock to get them to gradually reshapen. After several pings it comes back into shape. I havent had to do this since i switched to cobras
Old 07-06-2011   #7

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by mora2818
Do you sit on a cooler or much higher than frame height? If so the 8inch might help unless the cooler sits really high in which you might reconsider your frame arrangement

Do you have your locks angled such that they are perpendicular to the "average" oar position? (mean between power stroke and rebound stroke). That would make less likely to bind up
Old 07-06-2011   #8

Carbondale, Colorado
I just tuned my oar locks. I'm kicking myself that I didn't do this on day one. It took 5 minutes, 1 hammer, and no dissasembly. I did it with the locks in the towers, oars in the oar locks, oar rights seated and with the oar perpendicular to the lock. I hit down on the tops of the oar locks to keep them from ovalizing out (as mentioned above) until they were equally snugged up against the oar right. No play, no slop, so much quieter, less hand fatigue, and with the exception of some sort of major carnage, they aren't going to pop out. Whang away.
watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011   #9

up in them thar hills, Colorado
Paddling Since: 07
I'm gonna jack your thread...If anyone is running a cat with 66" frame and 22" tubes-do you run 9' Oars or longer?
CO.rafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011   #10

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I had a 14 X 22 Maravia Cat, with a 66Inch NRS frame & 9 foot oars. They felt just about right to me. Then I sold that boat and got a 14 X 24 Cat. The 9 foot oars still fell pretty good, but sometimes I kind of wish I had 9 1/2 footers???? The handles don't seem too high on my power stroke. I have been told that your hands (handles) should be mid-chest height on your power stroke, kind of like your are a boxer and throwing a strong jab. Both the Maravia & NRS websites suggest 9 - 10 foot oars for a 14 X 24 Cat and a 66 inch frame. For now I can't afford a new set of Cataract oars, so I'm sticking with the 9 footers.
I have rowed from both an NRS seat bar, and now a AAA flip seat bracket (not the DRE type) that rests on my dry box. The 8 inch NRS towers worked best for me in both instances.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote