oar extensions - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-01-2010   #1

Elizabeth, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2yrs
oar extensions

i have 10' oars like to extend to 11'- are extensions sturdy enough or are new oars preferable what is the best way to counterbalance oars? thanks

Tambetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2010   #2

Jenks, Oklahoma
Do not know about oar extensions, never have used them.

I use the Cataract counterweights that you slide over the end of the oar and tighten the plastic screws.

These things work great and make rowing a lot easier if you have a narrow frame.

If the oars drop in the water, say goodbye. I have never seen an oar with extra weights float. Not saying they cannot float, I just have not seen them.

To me, the chance of lost oars is worth taking for the ease of rowing. I do use oar tethers, which are worth another thread.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010   #3

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
By the time you reach 11', you are looking at some serious torque on the shaft, and I have my doubts about the longevity of the extensions out there.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2010   #4

I use 1' extensions on my 10' oars for windy flatwater days on the Grand.
Don't like them in rapids, but they are great on the flats.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010   #5

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Brandob- the force on the ends of the oars is the lowest. The center gets most of the force. A longer oar actually has less force on the blade than a shorter oar. Think about a see-saw: if you push on the far end to lift a kid on the opposite side, it's WAY easier than if you push down nearer the center.

As for counterweights, I hate 'em. They make the oars so heavy overall, plus I feel like I have to lift the handles to get the blades in the water, which is rough on my shoulders.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010   #6

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I use 12" extensions on my 10' oars. I don't notice any flex or weakness. I like a counter balance on them. I adjusted the weight so the blades will still be just a little heavier than the handle.

I was uncomfortable investing in the expensive sleave style weights, just in case I didn't like them. So I bought some lead weights used for duck decoys and taped them on to see if I liked it. I was planning on upgrading the setup by putting them inside the shaft, but they worked so well I just left them taped on. I might get some large diameter heat shrink tubing to cover the ugly duct tape.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunti...%3FN%3D1100092
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010   #7

Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by climbdenali View Post

As for counterweights, I hate 'em. They make the oars so heavy overall, plus I feel like I have to lift the handles to get the blades in the water, which is rough on my shoulders.
Climbdenali - You have the wrong weight at your oar handles. My custom made counterweights are such that when I let go of the oars the blades drop into the water. The weights are heavy enough that I can easily, with one finger, press down on the oar handles to lift the blades to cycle my oars for another pull.

Whatever weights you use try shaving some weight to get the above.

I put my frame on my pickup bed and fiddled with the amount of weight until I had it where I liked it. Then I took the boat onto a local lake for water testing (with proper beverages).

In use, in flat water, I can lean back in my seat and comfortably keep the oars moving against light wind.

In rapids I can cycle the oars fast, which helps a lot when I run bigger water and need to quickly change my boat position.
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010   #8

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I don't use counterweights, but I agree that if you do use them, they ought to be set up like you have them- to drop into the water. I feel like they act as dampers, sucking energy out of every stroke. It's extra weight to move forward or back on every stroke, and takes away power from where you want it- in the water. I suspect that a lot of people start using them because their oars are too long for their frame width, or are just set up with too much of the oars outside of the towers. Wanting a longer oar may also be a symptom of having towers/seat up too high, which I see a lot these days, too. If your seat is not higher than your frame, and your frame not too narrow for the boat, you don't need 11-12' oars (except of course on the largest of boats).

I'm not saying that nobody should use counterweights, just that I think that they're a way fix other parts of a setup. Also, I like the idea of using decoy lead rather than the big-honkin' Cataract counterweights.

Kengore- if you find a good source for 3" dia. heat shrink tubing, let me know. I've had a hard time finding bigger than 1.5". If you have to buy in bulk, I'd go in on some.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010   #9

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I picked up some leg weights at the thrift shop to use as counterweights. I've only used them on one westy trip, so the jury's still out on if I want to keep using them. But hey, I'm only out 2 bucks if I don't like em.
teletoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #10

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I found this on the web, heat shrink tubing by the foot, in sizes up to 6" diameter...
Polyolefin Heat Shrinkable Tubing : FIT 221 : BuyHeatShrink.com
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote