Oar buoyancy - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-21-2011   #1

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Oar buoyancy

I know the counterbalanced oars will sink and I'm pretty sure carlise oars will sink once water gets inside the shaft. Not sure if this is the case with any shaft/oar not constructed of wood

Question has anyone considered some sort of neoprene float that will keep an oar buoyant under all conditions? I'm thinking an outer sleeve with maybe Velcro.

If such a thing existed for a reasonable price, what would that price have to be to be marketable ??

Thoughts ??

slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011   #2

Boise, Idaho
I like Sawyer oars with wood handles/blades. They float pretty well. Not sure if you want to start adding things to the outside of your oars...more things that can fail and get in the way. Some sort of oar leash works well also.
rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011   #3
sh$t show voyeuor/host

Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
I think some carlisles come with corks to keep them from filling with water. You could always stuff some foam or great stuff in them, or leashes, or just dont F-up
matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2011   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
Inexpensive wood oars do exist. They may not be as durable as Smokers, but they float and have a natural counter balance considering the taper in the shaft.
I second the idea that adding a sleeve is not ideal, keep your equipment as simple as possible.
woodboat75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #5
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamkal View Post
I know the counterbalanced oars will sink and I'm pretty sure carlise oars will sink once water gets inside the shaft. Not sure if this is the case with any shaft/oar not constructed of wood

Question has anyone considered some sort of neoprene float that will keep an oar buoyant under all conditions? I'm thinking an outer sleeve with maybe Velcro.

If such a thing existed for a reasonable price, what would that price have to be to be marketable ??

Thoughts ??
Oar tethers.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #6
Tenacious B

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamkal

Thoughts ??
Am I missing something? What's wrong with oar tethers? I've gotten myself into some real crappy situations where there was a TON of pressure pulling on an oar that popped out but my tethers have never failed. Just a loop strap on the oar stand and 2' cam strap on the oar shaft. $8 tops per oar.
Ben Bade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #7

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Use them But I've had someone fall out of a boat before and somehow broke the spare oar tether
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011   #8

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
You can pull the corks out of hollow shafts and insert foam pipe insulation, then replace the corks. Doesn't add much weight.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011   #9
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamkal View Post
Use them But I've had someone fall out of a boat before and somehow broke the spare oar tether
What? Spare oar tether? What are you talking about?

Tether your oars, make sure each passenger wears a sharp knife, and you'll be fine. Stupid floaty contraptions are not a substitute.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011   #10

SE, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1986
Or you can run wood oars with rope wraps and donuts. I'm in love with Gull Oars, made in New Zealand. Way cheaper than Smokers or composites, and I love the feel of the bare wood grips. Best place to find 'em are big city marine suppliers like Seattle Marine.
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote