NRS Revolution vs. Osprey - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-12-2012   #1

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
NRS Revolution vs. Osprey

My wife and I paddle touring kayaks and also ducky class II-III -- a few years experience with those. I am thinking about NRS 12' Revolution raft (Otter-based design) or 12' Osprey raft (sportier/more rocker) for day paddling (2-5 paddlers) to try something different and to have a more "sociable" craft (also these are light enough for the two of us to car top I think). I have no experience moving rafts through the water (and never rowed), so is there any reason for a beginner paddle rafter to go with one design over the other -- Otter-based Revolution vs. "sportier" (more rockered) Osprey? (For example, would the Osprey be more flip prone?) I assume either one could also be paddled by just the two of us sometimes.
Thanks for your thoughts!
Boats & Inflatables > Rafts > NRS Revolution Rafts at NRSweb.com

johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2012   #2

Fresno, California
Paddling Since: 1979
It's more a matter of preference with those 2 choices. The Osprey could actually be likely to be less prone to flipping, as it's 4" wider and the extra rocker will make it take big waves better.

OTOH, with a 15" longer flat section, the Revolution will definitely track better whereas the Osprey will turn better with its shorter warerline. The shorter waterline will make it easier for 2 people to control the boat, but require more paddle strokes to keep it straight.
I'd get the Osprey unless a longer frame to carry more gear is important.
If you expect to have 4+ people most of the time a 13 footer might be a better choice
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #3

silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
I own the 13.5' osprey and it is very sporty,and i highly recomend it.in big water it is very stable and manuverable and it tracks very well, trust me get the osprey you will love it!
bluebtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2012   #4

Both Good

I am sure you will like them both. Sounds like you may like the osprey for what you are going at. I have the Rev 120 and the 150. I personally like round boat designs. I also use a 3 person fish frame and had a frame that would fit the Rev 120. The frame would not fit on the opsrey due to width (frame too narrow at 48") and length (frame was too long at 60"). I did not want to get into the cost a new frame, plus the longer water line is nice. The osprey may hold in pocket water better for fishing, but doubt the difference is too much, plus i really wanted to fit a rear angler too.

One thing you need to look at is the thwarts. They only put two attachments in. Kind of a bummer for R2. I added a thwart point in my Rev 120 for better R2 position. Very easy to do and about an extra $40.

The revolutions are sweet! Get them while you can, NRS just dropped the price because they are not going to make them any longer. The fabric is just too expensive and put the boat at a price point above the otter, which was not their intention. We will see the rev in the future with a different fabric.
Salto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012   #5

Fresno, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salto View Post
The revolutions are sweet! Get them while you can, NRS just dropped the price because they are not going to make them any longer. The fabric is just too expensive and put the boat at a price point above the otter, which was not their intention. We will see the rev in the future with a different fabric.
It's not the price that's driving them off the market. They don't hold up to heavy use! The idea was as much about light weight as low price, like NRS Bandit series IK's, which can also have serious abrasion issues (according to "TheBoatPeople") and scuff easily on dry surfaces.
Here's a recent thread about a "catastrophic failure" of the floor on a Rev raft

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ion-38691.html

For comparison, Sotar uses similar type material that's twice the wieght and thickness (and price, almost)
Old 06-15-2012   #6

norcal, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
It's not the price that's driving them off the market. They don't hold up to heavy use! The idea was as much about light weight as low price, like NRS Bandit series IK's, which can also have serious abrasion issues (according to "TheBoatPeople") and scuff easily on dry surfaces.
Here's a recent thread about a "catastrophic failure" of the floor on a Rev raft

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ion-38691.html

For comparison, Sotar uses similar type material that's twice the wieght and thickness (and price, almost)
Interesting, what's the source of your info? I have a Revolution raft and haven't had durability issues, yet.
barcolounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012   #7

Fresno, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcolounger View Post
Interesting, what's the source of your info? I have a Revolution raft and haven't had durability issues, yet.
I included the link for the thread here on Buzz(in the post you quoted), where there is mention of the OP's boat still being on NRS' sales page, and the Bandit IK review on The Boat People (theboatpeople.com)
Old 06-15-2012   #8

Evergreen, Co.
Paddling Since: 2000
To me, one incident of a torn floor while running the Poudre, which is often boney as hell anyways does not justify declaring the boat as non durable. I'd bet the farm that there's not a single raft design out there that has not been damaged by someone on its maiden voyage. Just saying.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012   #9

I got my info straight from NRS R&D. Urethane is very expensive, and the price went up from their initial contracts. The boat was suppose to be lower priced option, but will soon be more expensive than the otters. The revs are double the weight of bandit line, and you will notice the bandit line is quite expensive too. The cost is made up for in the fact that these are machine cut and assembled vs hand cut and assembed for hypalon.

I have put my boat through a wall slammer that sheared off my oar tower, not a scratch on the boat. I have full confidence in the raft. This comes from an owner of two. The fabric weight is the same as most, and the same as what sotar was using only a handfull of years ago. Sotars denier is more, and overall coating weight is about 25% more.

Just more Mountainbuzz armchairing and speculation. At least you got a couple comments from actual owners instead of speculators. Time will tell on long term durability, but I know NRS will stand behind their products. Great customer service and I like dealing with them quite a bit.
Salto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012   #10

Calgary, Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salto View Post
Just more Mountainbuzz armchairing and speculation.
I completely agree. Much of what is said here can easily be categorized as an urban myth as it is very rarely backed up with first hand experience.

"I knew a guy who said..."

An opinion/theory with an explained reasoning behind it is great, but people take it way beyond that here for some reason.
cupido76 is offline   Reply With Quote