NRS Revolution? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-18-2011   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
NRS Revolution?

I've got questions about the new NRS revolution rafts. Anyone out there have any experience with them? Specifically material durability.
I just got a new one and tore the floor in the first 3 miles of Upper Mishawaka on the Poudre River which seemed completely absurd to me.

Am I way off base here wanting a return?

boldtwatermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2011   #2

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
There's this thread:
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ion-33539.html

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Can't imagine how much that must suck. I'd be livid.

Was it a stray piece of metal in the river or a rock? I bet if you talk to NRS they'd make it right somehow. I've been really impressed with their customer service. (maybe they'll let you swap out to an otter or an AIRE since they carry those?) I bet they hook you up just to save the reputation of their new revolution brand on a highly visited website. I would bet most folks who buy the revolution checked up on the buzz for reviews (either thru the buzz or directed here via google)

Did you buy it locally? I'd go and see what the shop will do for you (they're the ones that talked yo into the boat anyway right?) while I've never returned a boat, all the local shops have been really great working with me whenever I had any problems with anything I bought from them. I'd love to hear what NRS says. I think it would be a great way for them to take care of a customer and gain a custy for life.
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2011   #4

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by boldtwatermann
I've got questions about the new NRS revolution rafts. Anyone out there have any experience with them? Specifically material durability.
I just got a new one and tore the floor in the first 3 miles of Upper Mishawaka on the Poudre River which seemed completely absurd to me.

Am I way off base here wanting a return?
Not off base. Read rock solid guarantee. Doesnt sound like misuse or abuse. Its a new material marketed as lightweight abrasion and puncture resistant If they are gonna have this happen frequently then they either need to pull it from the market or buck up to it

Id be curious did it float a lot lower without the floor?

Fyi NRS stopped selling Aire Rafts (other than Puma line) probably so they can sell more of the Revolution. Profit margins must be higher so they should easily be able to pay for this

I'm a big fan of aire Aire has a no fault warrantee - you can use one of their boats as a tow strap and if it tears they will repair it

I now own three of their boats despite the fact that they dont produce their boats China. Instead the make them in some fucking hillbilly third world country called Idaho

Let the rest of us Buzzards know how this gets resolved.
Old 07-18-2011   #5

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Any idea what tore the floor? Did you bomb into an eddy and catch a buried branch/stump? My biggest concern rafting Rustics on Saturday was coming into an eddy too hard & fast and catching a nasty branch/stump. Fortunately that didn't happen.

How big is the tear? Pictures please (because those with inquiring minds want to know.....). Once you get it resolved with NRS please post the outcome.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #6

Denver, Colorado
It definitely tore coming into a eddy and hitting a rock. It was much more of an easy paddle into it. The rock we hit, as it was an inch or two out of the water looked a bit sharp, but was nothing that I haven't hit before going much faster than I was this time.
After about 8+ years of commercial guiding I figured I had a pretty good sense of what it takes to pop a boat and this rock didn't raise any alarms.
NRS said they would be willing to exchange it, but I have to pick up shipping both ways to the tune of about another $200. My plan is to take it to an authorized NRS repair shop here in Denver this afternoon and see what they say about it being a warranty issue and the price of fixing it/giving it a more abrasion resistant coating on the bottom.
Old 07-19-2011   #7

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatmanZ View Post
Any idea what tore the floor? Did you bomb into an eddy and catch a buried branch/stump? My biggest concern rafting Rustics on Saturday was coming into an eddy too hard & fast and catching a nasty branch/stump. Fortunately that didn't happen.

How big is the tear? Pictures please (because those with inquiring minds want to know.....). Once you get it resolved with NRS please post the outcome.
How does one upload pictures? Copy and Past isn't working. Do I need to have them uploaded someplace else already and would facebook work for that?
Old 07-19-2011   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
hit the "go advanced" button, then "manage attachments" which will allow you to browse your computer for files. I usually compress them to 400K or so first.
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #9

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatmanZ View Post

It's on the front right side, maybe 6" above where the rocker starts to kick up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0206.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	398.7 KB
ID:	3847  
Old 07-19-2011   #10

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Its not catastrophic, at least. But i know my Maravia would not have torn under the same conditions but its a lot thicker urethane and crosswoven fabric.

I had a similar looking tear on my nrs cat. It was a five year old hypalon and it tore like an old tshirt. Thats why i stopped buying nrs gear. I dont wanba have to fix my shit during my vacation