NRS Outlaw - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-21-2013   #1

NRS Outlaw

Anybody have any experience with it? Specifically looking at the solo version, but would welcome tandem feedback as well.

spthomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2013   #2
fat guy in a little boat

FtC / Rancho del Rio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 8AM
based off the 1 time i paddled an outlaw, i wasn't very impressed. it has really small tubes(for a fat guy), an awkward elongated rocker angle, and its not very abrasion resistant(weird rub marks and it didn't feel like it moved over rocks very well).
i love my tomcat!! pretty similar price range i think too

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- Spicoli
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013   #3

Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
My paddling buddy has a NRS bandit and I have a tributary tomcat. I paid

My paddling buddy has a NRS bandit and I have a tributary tomcat. I paid $600 for mine, he paid over $1,000 for his. After paddling together for more than 6 years and about 1,000 river miles I can definitely say that the tomcat is so very much better than the bandit. MUch more stable in bigger waves, haul much more gear or a second small person in front, and overall much more versatile. If you plan on doing harder whitewater than thighstraps and footpegs are a must. WE both do class III with some class IV.
gunnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2013   #4

Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I tried several different types as rentals before I bought. I eventually bought a Down River duckie. Way more stable in bigger water than the NRS ones (bandit or maverik). Price is around $1100 for a single. They ran a $250 off sale last year at end of season, which is when I bought mine.

I love it.
denali1322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013   #5

Bend, Oregon
I have a solo, did the entire main salmon to Spring Bar, 93 miles, and love the boat. It is very stable in big water but at the same time quite responsive. Fundamentally, it is a river/whitewater boat. If you are in the market for a river duckie, don't hesitate to purchase this. Don't expect it to do well in any other conditions. Surprisingly, it's good for a novice or experienced paddler. It runs a little wet in the seat (I'm about 170 lbs) but the low center of gravity helps with the handling and was not problem (advantage, perhaps) in warm weather. It slides more than carves, if that makes sense, but it's very enjoyable overall. Replace the thwart seat. I tried to adjust it each morning, but could never get it right. It's now perfect after replacing the seat. Again, great boat.
cmharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013   #6

Thanks for the detailed review. What did you replace the thwart seat with?
spthomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013   #7

Bend, Oregon
An Aire Cheetah chair, but I also tired a Tributary seat. The Trib seat design is very similar to the NRS seat, essentially a big pillow, but it formed to my back a bit better and provided better support. The fabric may be more compliant. The Cheetah, which is similar to a Crazy Creek chair, is a much better design and is more comfortable for longer spells in the boat. There are other designs available, I'm sure, but I used what I had and am happy with the results. Also, the NRS seat may work just fine for you. I would try it first and then decide if a change is necessary.
cmharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013   #8

North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
I got one a few months ago and frankly my son has used it more than I have! He did have a choice one day of using my NRS IK or the Tomcat and he went back to my NRS because he felt more stable in it (I think he sad lower in it as well?)

So far I like it but I'm not keen on NRS advice of just putting the thigh straps through the drain holes- seems it would be an easy thing to rip through. Probably need to attach some extra D rings.
Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013   #9

Portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendi View Post

So far I like it but I'm not keen on NRS advice of just putting the thigh straps through the drain holes- seems it would be an easy thing to rip through. Probably need to attach some extra D rings.
I have a bandit, and I have put that thing through the ringer. I'm not going to start a my boat is tougher than yours war (If I was I would be talking about my Lynx!), but you would be hard pressed to tear out the floor via the drain holes with thigh straps. But using the drain holes generally means that I run out of strap on the NRS (or AIRE) thigh straps. If you place two D rings parallel with your hip bones on the tubes, you get a much better fit - with the added bonus of more control as you can pull a tube up nice and high more like a hardshell if you are side surfing or something.

I also had some custom loop straps made for my bandit that attach through the drain holes and simulate the loop straps that come in a Lynx (or tomcat). They work great (even though I no longer use them). I don't think I have any pics of them...I'll take a look.