NRS otters - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-29-2009   #1

morrison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
NRS otters

I am considering purchasing a 14 foot raft that I can use for fishing as well as some overnight trips with family. Does any one have any history with the otters and how well do they hold up?

flyfishing doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2009   #2

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishing doug View Post
I am considering purchasing a 14 foot raft that I can use for fishing as well as some overnight trips with family. Does any one have any history with the otters and how well do they hold up?
for fishing and the fam, it's a great boat. if you want to do any multi-day stuff, i'd suggest the the 142 (7ft wide) to haul a bit more gear. you can definitely buy a boat that has more of everything, chambers, d-rings, beefier fabric, but for the money, you can't really go wrong. The floor does sit a bit high compared to some others, but I've had a lot of fun with my otter and wouldn't change a thing. great buy as far as i'm concerned.
Ponderosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #3

pine, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Love my Otter, I have been abusing it for 7 years with no issues. Only thing I would change is I would definately get a 14' instead of the 13' I currently have. Good for fishing, whitewater and overnighters and durable enough to withstand me flipping it on occasion.
class 3 felon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2009   #4

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I bought an Otter 140 (7ft wide) this season and it's been great. Compared to my friends Otter 130, it holds a lot more gear. The small roll size and weight were also a big bonus. I didn't have a lot of room for storage and I can move it around by myself.
Oslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #5

Grand Junction, Colorado
my bad, it is the 140 that is 7 ft wide. Definitely makes a difference on the amount of gear you can haul (and you can haul a lot with this little boat). Still makes a nice paddle boat as well, even with the extra width.
Ponderosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #6

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2004
Flyfishin Doug-
I have the 14'L/7'W Otter and love it, it's great for mellow floats or big rapids. The extra width does allow for more gear and stability. I would buy it all over again. I've had it for almost three years.
raftchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009   #7
AQS

Edwards, Colorado
I have a 14'/7' Otter as well and love it.
Also, we have sold lots of them over the years out of our store and I have never had anyone come back with any sort of warranty issues or any other problems.
Great boats!

-Sean
AQS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009   #8

morrison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I was looking at the 142 6ft 6in wide thinking it would better for fishing in low water. I have rowed a air puma in the past but wanted more space. Was wondering if the the otter would hold up well compared to the NRS e series or an Aire boat. Also wondering if the exta 6 inches of a140 in the otter or e series would hinder manuverability.
flyfishing doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009   #9

New Castle, Colorado
I'm on my second season in an Otter 142 and love it. I don't fish but wanted something that was agile on the water and could still do multiday trips with the wife two kids and a dog. So far it fits bill, and it punches waves like a champ, Iíve run class III with nothing but a loaded cooler up front and never tossed it. Definitely a great boat!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6484.jpg
Views:	1263
Size:	549.9 KB
ID:	1827  
Mr. Shlitzenturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009   #10

McCall, Idaho
slight hijack

i am also looking at a 14' otter, the pre-2005 model that is a little smaller at only 6'-6" wide (the current 142 model). understanding the reduction in gear carrying capacity, is this reduction in width a stability issue when loaded?

i would like a raft that will allow me to consider running bigger water multi-days such as cataract, grand, salmon, snake, etc. at "typical" flows once my oar skills improve. i just want to make sure this boat will not be too small for such trips. i am not as concerned with reduced gear capacity, given that most of my trips will just be me and the wife with maybe one additional passenger. it seems like a lot of 14' boats are cut with about a 7' width, with some even wider, so does the narrow cut of this model otter make it less stable in big water?

as for the otter series, i currently have a 2004 otter 11.5' that i bought this spring. the only thing i have noticed is on the bottom of the SB floor i am getting very small chips on the hypalon, with the outer layer of rubber chipping off and exposing the weaved fabric below. there are 4 or 5 of these on my boat now, all about the size of a sharpie marker tip (1mm?). the floor still holds air well, but i am a little worried about these long term and don't know how to repair them other than a full on patch. the other complaint i have about the pre-2005 models is that they only have two handles, but NRS seemed to correct that on the newer models. i have been very happy with mine thus far (only one season), and that is why i am thinking about a used one. later.
pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote