NRS Hydro Skin Breeches - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-21-2007   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
NRS Hydro Skin Breeches

I stand around in the water a bit helping my 10 year old work on her role and other techniques. I need something to keep my lags warm. I looked at 2 products from NRS: the Rodeo pant and the hydroskin pant. The Rodeo pant looks certain to do the job but looks a little bulky. I would like to wear them when I am in the my boat as well so I want them to be comfortable. According to NRS folk the Rodeo will be warmer and the Hydro more comfy but a little less warm for standing around in Boulder Creek. For now I am zeroing in on the Hydro. The Hydro also seems to be a better solution for a base layer for dry pants which I may add to the quiver down the road. Anybody have any experience with these products

suggestions are welcome

Advertisement

Old 06-23-2007   #2
gh

pnw, Colorado
If your only purpose is to stand around wet then i say hydroskin is good but I dont boat in the stuff anymore. I would go for some stretchy fleece like IR thickskin with the IR splash pants over it. I like the combo quite a bit when its cold and its not bulky. These are the pants IR Splash Pants
bought them last year and really like them
Old 06-23-2007   #3
Big Building with Gear

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Yeah, the rodeo pants are warmer than the hydroskins which are warmer than the fleece base layers. If you're looking for pure warmth, neoprene is usually the way to go, but the fleece/shell combo is way more versatile and comfy. Plus if you do skiing or boarding, the IR layers work great for that stuff too. I've got a set that gets the river stink and a set for skiing.
Alpine Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2007   #4

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I have the hydro-skins, rodeo pants, dry pants and a thick set of neoprene pants. I wear the hydro-skins and dry pants for 10% of my paddling, just the hydro's for 50% of my paddling and shorts the other 40%. The rodeo pants are a little thick for me and I don't like how they fit in my boat(I just got them really cheap and are a good back up) also seem like they would be nice if I think I may swim.

As far as standing in the water that's why I got the thick neoprene (also a good deal).
I never did try the dry pant and fleece combo though. Good idea!

I hope that didn't confuse everyone to bad!
stumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007   #5
Don

Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
We use the Rodeo pants in our school and rental program. They are better if you come out of your boat and for standing around (more wind proof). The Hydroskin is better for layering, more comfortable, and more durable in the long run.

Both have there ups and downs.

For standing in the water... The Rodeo pants would be better for sure. As for the rest of the time... well that's up to you.
Old 06-24-2007   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Rodeo Breeches

Wore the rodeo skin pants on the Poudre yesterday and was totally overheating at first. Got out and walked around in the water to get them wet and the temp was much better. They are a bit bulky for being in the boat. I was on the river for about 5 hours yesterday and I was getting a bit cool by the end of the day and glad I had them on.

Look like I will be investing in both set ups as I embezzle cash from the kids education. I would like to have the fleece and dry pants as well.

This is as bad as motorcycle gear. I bet I got close to $2K just in protective riding gear
Old 06-25-2007   #7

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Check out the IR neo pants - 1mil I think: Men's Thermo Skin Pants
Not too bulky, great worn alone or under a pair of splash pants. I fully dislike wetsuits for anything except in slot canyons - but these neo bottoms are nice rafting/kayaking, swimming, etc.

Another option are the IR neo lined boating shorts - keeps the core area warm without being too warm like pants.

Cheers!
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatmanZ View Post
Check out the IR neo pants - 1mil I think: Men's Thermo Skin Pants
Not too bulky, great worn alone or under a pair of splash pants. I fully dislike wetsuits for anything except in slot canyons - but these neo bottoms are nice rafting/kayaking, swimming, etc.

Another option are the IR neo lined boating shorts - keeps the core area warm without being too warm like pants.

Cheers!
Nice! Complete with camel toe.