NRS frame and side boxes - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-20-2011   #1

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1998
NRS frame and side boxes

Anyone out there who uses side boxes in the rowers compartment of their NRS frame? I really like the idea of adding some extra dry storage with the accessibly side boxes.

I am looking for ideas on how to rig the boxes into an NRS frame with drop down rails on a cat.

thanks for all your ideas

CatMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2011   #2
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I'm not certain which side boxes you are referring to for the rower's bay. I really like this little Engel cooler/dry box in the captain's bay of my Down River frame.Engel UC30 Ice/Dry Box 30qt Ultimate Air Tight
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011   #3

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
I find i need this area to stow me oars when im in a tight area. I use a soft bag that fits along close to my tower
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2011   #4
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I originally configured my frame to fit a 20MM ammo can (groover?) on each side of my feet in the captain's bay. I ended up never using it for that and decided the small cooler was a better, more accessible idea. My passengers sit on my large cooler so I stock the small one with beverages and lunch and can get to them whenever I want. It also works nicely to keep me out of the big cooler and preserve ice on multidays. It comes up level to my frame so I am still able to pull my oars in. I have polymax in the floor so it is no problem to run a strap around the frame, through the handle, and through the floor to secure it. I ran a second strap through the loops designed for the carrying strap.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #5

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Have the boxes custom made by Cy at Cambridge Welding. Have him put tabs on both ends and then put a loop strap over the top. Some folks opt for a bolt through the tab and crossbar so they have easier access to the box. No strap needed.
I looked for a shot of my setup and this is the best I could find.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grand Canyon 08 Andy's Photos 067_2.jpg
Views:	735
Size:	687.1 KB
ID:	3937  
Old 08-21-2011   #6

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
your boat looks nicely decked out ...
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #7

Boise, Idaho
I really like those engel dry boxes, any how dry are they after a flip?

I was thinking the only way to put boxes in there with the NRS frame set up was by putting a floor in the boat, but i like the look of your set up rwhyman, but i am currently using a standard NRS seat bar with the deluxe foot bar. I could change my seat setup to something like yours, but what is your foot bar setup like? My footbar is a bit to wide to fit any boxes, but I think I could cut it down with a side rail breakdown kit.

I thought i had a floor setup completely figured out, got some NRS spreader bars that i was going to put something on for a floor, but the design of the spreader bar where it attaches to the drop rails pushes the boxes towards the center of the rowers compartment unless i would use a really thick floor material so the boxes would clear the drop rails and u-bolts. How thick is that polymax flooring? I was also thinking about cutting the spreader bar brackets off and welding them back on at the top of the so I could use a thinner material so when its all said and done the boxes could be pushed closer to the tubes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8210619.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	343.7 KB
ID:	3938  
Old 08-21-2011   #8

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Which NRS frame are you using on your Cat.....66 or 72?
I run my Cat with the 66, and there isn't much room for boxes in the rower space. I use the side saddle bags from Cascade. They fit the curve of the tubes and I keep small/medium items in them that I need quick access to.
I struggled with the NRS spreader bars to make a floor for my Cat. They just didn't work for me. I had NRS make me a couple small custom floors out of the same material they use to make the side rail racks. I strap them tightly in place, and they give some structure to the lower rails, much like the spreader bars, to prevent bowing in of the lower rails when standing to scout, or for gear.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011   #9

Boise, Idaho
its a 66 inch universal frame with the drop down rails, using the spreader bars for the 72 inch yoke frame. I have made a few runs with rocket boxes tied to the spreader bars themselves. If i can get the boxes to clear the spreaderbar u-bolts/brackets then i should be able to fit 10-12 inch wide boxes with no problem.

I am thinking of cutting the brackets off the spreader bars and having them welded back on so the top of the bar and the top of the bracket are flush. Then use something thin for a floor, maybe some alum diamond plate
Old 08-22-2011   #10

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Go with some plywood to span the spreader bars. Use a router or jigsaw to cut out around the spreader bar ends/ubolts. Maybe stack / glue the plywood if necessary to elevate it I would think that would give you a nice flat level area to set your boxes on

Or have nrs make you some custom drop rails that span between seatbar and crossbar. This is a $150 solution