NRS Drysuits vs. Kokatat Drysuits - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-25-2017   #1

Buena Vista, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
NRS Drysuits vs. Kokatat Drysuits

I am looking to find the best bang for my buck when it comes to drysuits. I am a new river guide that would like to invest in something for the shittiest of days but will still be affordable and durable. I know the Kokatat Goretex suits are best, but are the NRS worth the cheaper price?

JamacianMeCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2017   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Should have access to pro deal if ur a guide, or wait until you do to save some coin. Looking to upgrade my 8 year old kokatat this spring and will probably stick with them. Both have good warranties and are places that try and make as much possible locally - so cant go wrong. Gore tex does have a lot of proven history though 😉
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017   #3

Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I'd rag the shit out of any rookie guide (that wasn't a kayaker) that bought a new dry suit. You're supposed to wear custy farmerjohn wetsuits and fleece and neoprene booties, like the rest of any first year raft guides. Earn your gear (and money) first, and figure out if you even like whitewater. I've seen many first and second year guides get kitted out only to see them move on back to "real jobs" or school or "life" and then desperately try to fire sale all their gear. Just sayin...

Or if you're rockin it trustafarian style buy the Kokatat GMER.
Blade&Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2017   #4

Duluth, Minnesota
I've had 2 nrs suits that both started wetting out within a month or two of boating. They replaced them both but the replacements did the same thing. Felt kind of shitty about sending it in again knowing they would just send another new one so I've just lived with a crappy drysuit. Can't argue with their warranty policy but I'd rather just have one that works.

Sent from my XT1565 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
BrianP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017   #5

Jackson, Wyoming
I did the same thing with dry tops a few years ago, on the third one, they gave a full refund of the price, and I put it towards a kokatat. Never thought twice when it was time to buy a dry suit.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
wyosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017   #6

Grass Valley, California
Paddling Since: 1995
I have worn both( and others). The Kokatat is the better choice. You will be money ahead with that suit and appreciate the comfort. The suits breathe, and move with you. OS suits are good as well and about the same price. They are a little tougher, but you cannot go wrong with Kokatat. I wear my OS at work and a Kokatat for my personal use.
Get the relief zipper. You can find some used that are in good shape once in a while.
And if some "salty" two season guide wants to bust your balls- tell them to ram it. First- its America- you can do what you want, Second- its a safety issue- good gear means you can do your job as a guide, Third- while they are talking about you behind your back, you will be warm....
fcpnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017   #7

Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcpnorman View Post
And if some "salty" two season guide wants to bust your balls- tell them to ram it. First- its America- you can do what you want, Second- its a safety issue- good gear means you can do your job as a guide, Third- while they are talking about you behind your back, you will be warm....
Ha. You're cute.
Blade&Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017   #8

Buena Vista, CO, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade&Shaft View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcpnorman View Post
Ha. You're cute.
Also a kayaker.
As a Kayaker, never paddle the douche canoe.
JamacianMeCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017   #9
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
My NRS drysuit has been great. This will be it's sixth season and I wear it 30+ days a year. I'm not perfectly dry after swimming or rafting huge water all day, but I am mostly dry. It breathes about as poorly as Gore and all the other, very similar, WPB fabrics out there. I've replaced gaskets, but everything else has held up great. It was priced at $400 on closeout. Next season I'll sell it for $200 and probably do it again.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017   #10

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
BryanP and Wyosam's experiences are almost identical to mine with NRS suits. Less than a season (maybe 10 days use?) on each suit and I was getting soaked through. They replaced the suit twice. When the third NRS suit did same, I got a refund and put it toward a Kokotat. Loved the Kokatat instantly.

After 5 years with the Kokotat suit I sent it in for some repairs (wear and tear/my fault holes). After they repaired the damage, they pressure tested it, and found a materials defect, and replaced that suit. I thought I was going to be paying for reasonable repairs, and they wound up sending me a new one- FREE.

I'd say don't waste your time with the NRS suit.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote