NRS Dry box? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-23-2010   #1

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2001
NRS Dry box?

Does anyone have any experience with the NRS dry box? I have had success with most NRS products, and wondering if this is still also well made. Can anyone compare this to a FrontierPlay dry box?

Generic dry box question? Am I able to sit on the dry box? Do I need to reinforce the lid with a piece of wood across to even out the load?

BullSCit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2010   #2

Groveland, California
I own both a NRS box (13 x 38?) and the Frontier Play captain boxes (10x22). I believe the NRS boxes are made in the US by Recretec, and are a very well built and nice piece, I would highly recommend them. The Frontier Play are marginal, IMHO, and I would not buy them again. They are made in China out of a strange alloy that doesn't like to be welded, one of the latches froze up in the first year of (light) use, the seals are junk and need to be replaced immediately, etc., etc. You will not be dissapointed if you go with the NRS box.

I glued some ethafoam to the top of my box and use it for my seat....plenty strong.
HPMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010   #3

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPMG View Post
I own both a NRS box (13 x 38?) and the Frontier Play captain boxes (10x22). I believe the NRS boxes are made in the US by Recretec, and are a very well built and nice piece, I would highly recommend them. The Frontier Play are marginal, IMHO, and I would not buy them again. They are made in China out of a strange alloy that doesn't like to be welded, one of the latches froze up in the first year of (light) use, the seals are junk and need to be replaced immediately, etc., etc. You will not be dissapointed if you go with the NRS box.

I glued some ethafoam to the top of my box and use it for my seat....plenty strong.
Sweet, thanks for the knowledge. Sounds like the NRS box just won.
BullSCit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2010   #4

Groveland, California
I should have mentioned that if you contact Recretec, Cambridge Welding, DRE etc. directly, they can make a box to your specs, which might make more effecient use of the available space in your boat.
HPMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010   #5

I don't disagree that the NRS box is probably nicer, but for the value I think the Frontier box is still pretty dang good. I've never tried to weld it so I don't know about the alloy but the box itself is solid, yes you might have to replace a latch or a seal on occasion but it's also almost half the price. (especially if you can get it from one of his ebay auctions.) It's still just an aluminum box, I'm willing to deal with a couple minor inconveniences and it does it's job. No problem sitting or standing on it here. dimensions are a bit different too since FP's are all 18" high instead of 16" so something to watch out for if that works for you. just depends on what you want.
Osprey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010   #6

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
I've run Recretec (now Eddyout) dry boxes on two rafts for 15 years now. They're good boxes, have to replace the gasket every few years. I bought two of the Frontier captain boxes a year and half ago. When I got them I had to replace the gaskets with thicker gaskets on both because they didn't seal, the lids were not squarely attached to the box. I used one box on a Grand trip. About half way through the trip the latches were really difficult to close all the way. The latches had a tab that stuck out through the latch for a lock, that could cut you if you banged into the latches - I bent those down. I got them cheap on eBay but I wouldn't buy again.
RivRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010   #7
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Also have a frontier box, and would not buy again for the same reasons. My madcatr box was worth the extra $ to me.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010   #8

billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
I've welded some tabs on frontier boxes and they warp hilariously well due to the paper thin aluminum they are made of. Spend the extra dough, you will glad you did.
mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010   #9

Albany, Oregon
RecreTec now Eddy Out...NO NO NO

RecreTec IS NOT NOR HAS IT EVER BEEN EDDY OUT!! I bought RecreTec 100% lock stock and barrel, dies, fixtures etc. and moved it from Springfield Oregon to Albany Oregon. The previous owner Ron STILL works for me in season. An old partial partner tried to start his own thing and told everyone that RecreTec was out of business while we shut down for 4 months to move the company. He is no longer there and has moved on. We are still here, bigger and better than ever and we DO NOT build the boxes for NRS anymore. Another company has copied our design and make them for them for less money, that is why the two sizes they offer are cheaper. The other company does not have the same gaskets nor do they have the bear proof certification option.

rafts for 15 years now. They're good boxes, have to replace the gasket every few years. I bought two of the Frontier captain boxes a year and half ago. When I got them I had to replace the gaskets with thicker gaskets on both because they didn't seal, the lids were not squarely attached to the box. I used one box on a Grand trip. About half way through the trip the latches were really difficult to close all the way. The latches had a tab that stuck out through the latch for a lock, that could cut you if you banged into the latches - I bent those down. I got them cheap on eBay but I wouldn't buy again.[/QUOTE]
RecreTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010   #10

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I needed a custom sized dry box for my cataraft and had Partner Steel make mine. Very pleased with it. They cross brace their lids so you get no "tin can" effect and they are plenty sturdy to sit or stand on. It was done and sent to my local dealer quickly, and the price was about the same as a non-custom box.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote