nrs cataraft motor mount question - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-31-2010   #1
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
nrs cataraft motor mount question

So Takeme and I are motoring down Cataract Canyon soon but her cat is a retro-frame so does not have the double crossbars in the back.

Is it feasible to jury-rig a motor mount out of a deluxe footbar and a piece of plywood?

mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2010   #2

SE, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 1991
IMO yes
smallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Make a square out of doubled up 3/4 ply and use U-clamps to connect it to the rear facing foot bar. as you rotate both pieces, you'll be able to adjust the height correctly, though not conveniently.

I've got an extra spring loaded transom mount, if you can figure out how to get it from Boulder.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2010   #4

Idaho, Wyoming
nrs motor mount

an nrs seat plate with plywood attattched and flipped upright works well for the mount.
billfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010   #5

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by mania View Post
So Takeme and I are motoring down Cataract Canyon soon but her cat is a retro-frame so does not have the double crossbars in the back.

Is it feasible to jury-rig a motor mount out of a deluxe footbar and a piece of plywood?
YOu could also use some speedrail fittings and make it for less (both cost and weight), unless you really want those clean bends. DRE has the best prices, just make sure to get the NRS sized ones, not DRE (pipe). The split rail piece is a bit heavier, but easy to add and remove. Or a combo of LoPro and speedrail, which is what I did for my footbar.

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ies-23889.html

Perhaps this photo helps.
Old 10-31-2010   #6

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
On a recent trip my buddy jury rigged a motor mount by lashing two 2X6's between the frame of two boats positioned side by side.

Multiple boats tow better side by side anyway, and the space between the boats gave ample room for the motor.

If you left a few feet between the boats you could balance the drag of different style boats by adjusting the position of the motor left to right.
kengore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010   #7
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Quote:
Originally Posted by billfish View Post
an nrs seat plate with plywood attattched and flipped upright works well for the mount.
not a bad idea. I have one of those lying around as well - but I think the first idea will work too.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010   #8

San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
If she has the NRS unverisal frame with drop rails you can use a spreader bar for your lower bar. The motor doesn't need attached to the lower bar as it will rest against it under power. On the top rail put a piece of angle iron(sand stake) strapped to the frame to make a 90degree angle for the motor clamp feet to securely rest against. This sounds quite ghetto (and it is) but I have motored many miles this way with no problem. The Plywood wont likely work, as most motors have about 2-2.5 inches of clearance to clamp onto the transom, and NRS pipe is almost 2 inches diameter alone. You'd want at least 3/4 inch of plywood to resist deforming and motor coming loose. At least with my motor plywood clamped to the frame was too thick. You want to have your clamps on the motor have some room even before they are tightened.

More importantly, whatever you do chain that motor to the frame so it isn't an anchor. I learned a valuable lesson about motors vibrating off, almost cost me a cat tube and a motor.

have TakeMe get a hold of me, I have all my cat frames disassembled and she can come by and grab anything needed to attach a motor. Also have my registration placards, Cat rangers are sticklers about having motor registration.

scott
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010   #9
Kjirsten

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Sweet- thanks, SN! I will call Mania to confirm and then come by if that's what he wants to do.
"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cataraft