NRS Attack Shoes Suck, Ok or Great? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-28-2010   #1

Basalt, Colorado
NRS Attack Shoes Suck, Ok or Great?

I bought the NRS Attack Shoes last fall, but havn't worn them yet. They really don't look that warm with the drain ports at the bottom. Do any of you own these? I hate cold feet, looking at the NRS Paddle Wetshoe or the Cross-4 Wetshoe-any thoughts on these? I kayak and raft. Thanks for your help!

B-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2010   #2

Prescott, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2005
The Attacks aren't made for warmth. If your waring a dry suit ware wool or poly socks. If not then get some diving booties.
shua30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010   #3

Jenks, Oklahoma
attacks

I had a pair and really liked the shoes

on one shoe the strap plastic mechanism locked up and would not adjust, no big deal tho.

But, the stitching on the seams in the back up to the pull loops started failing and eventually reached the point I just trashed the shoes.

Might have been a quality control issue and maybe they fixed it on current models.

But, I liked the shoes a lot but my pair only lasted one season.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2010   #4
gh

pnw, Colorado
I like mine and thought they kept my feet pretty warm.
Old 03-29-2010   #5
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
they fell apart for me.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010   #6
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
My older version didn't have drains and were pretty warm. However, traction on rocks was awful and they starting falling to pieces is less than one season, so I vote =suck=.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
How can you say you liked them and then go on to say they fell apart in one season. How could you even consider giving a positive recommendation?

Shopping for shoes myself this year.

Getting ready to buy the Canyoneers by 5.10. anyone have others i should consider?

They are expensive, but one season shoes are the most expensive thing going, regardless of how cheap the original investment.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010   #8
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
I love talking about shoes more than i love kayaking.

NRS=sucksucksucksucksucksucksucksuck

About to get new Teva Avators returned to me, hopefully they fixed the problem with the sole glue. Traction, support and comfort were all great. They said they had a problem with the glue...causing the soles to comes apart after a while...which it did.

The kayak session mag I just got advertises some new Merrel shoes that were co-designed by Palm. Looks promising.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Happiness with the NRS attack shoe depends on type of use. If you use them on a raft and you mainly walk on sandy beaches and don't scout / portage on wet rocks you might like them.

If you use them on difficult runs where you have to portage your kayak on slippery wet rocks you will likely hate them. I had a pair and I thought they sucked. The traction on wet rock was piss poor. The ankle protection was weak, and the sole didn't really have that much protection from sharp rocks either.

Also, booties are not made for warmth... if you want warmth, get a dry suit, dry socks, or neoprene socks. All neoprene booties will be pretty cold in cold water / weather with no extra insulation in my mind.

The new boot torch noted is called the gradient. Saw it in kayak session as well. Sounds interesting. They bill it as a climbing rubber sole with a lean bootie to be able to fit into kayaks. Only downside I saw was the big loops of laces that look like they are begging to get caught on bulkhead screws.

Palm Gradient Boot - Canoe and Kayak Store
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Frank View Post
How can you say you liked them and then go on to say they fell apart in one season. How could you even consider giving a positive recommendation?

Shopping for shoes myself this year.

Getting ready to buy the Canyoneers by 5.10. anyone have others i should consider?

They are expensive, but one season shoes are the most expensive thing going, regardless of how cheap the original investment.

Dave, any luck finding these in Boulder? and what is the price?
Thanks
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote