NRS 6" oar towers - seem short, bumping knees on return stroke - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 09-17-2007   #1

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
NRS 6" oar towers - seem short, bumping knees on return stroke

I took a NRS Bighorn I frame out on a small boat (12" Hyside) this weekend. The 6" oar towers seem really low for the seat height - the oars barely clear the water on the return stroke, even after rotating the oar towers in slightly to raise the oarlocks (just so the oarlocks are perpendicular to the water surface). I moved the foot bar forward so my legs are straighter and my knees lower. This helped a little but it still seems really odd that with this widely-used configuration the oars can't be raised out very far of the water on the return stroke. That seems like it could cause trouble in big water.

Is this normal for the Bighorn I / NRS oar frame geometry?

Does anyone know of a problem with having the oarlocks perpendicular to the water instead of angled out slightly?

Any suggestions (other than buying the 8" oar towers)?

Thanks,

-Andy

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2007   #2
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
I run a small boat as well. When I added a flip seat and cooler, I found my oars were hitting me in the knees. I made some mock ups out of 2x4 for the 8in mounts. I was still short. I called NRS and had them bend some "rainbows" for me that were the smallest bend they could make. Now I have unlimited positions, as I can rotate the attachments on the frame and position my towers accordingly. I have been told that this could be a weak spot in the frame, but have never had a problem. Another thing to consider is that higher towers mean longer oars. Mine went from 8ft to 9ft. A good reason to upgrade and have 2 spares.
Old 09-17-2007   #3

Boulder, Colorado
Can you lower the seat?

Oar tower height can be really tricky, I've found. I've cut mine too short more than once...

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2007   #4

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
The seat can't be lowered - it mounted to a plate welded to the straight cross-bar. the oars are a little long anyway (9') so a bit taller tower won't be a problem.

Here's the frame: NRS Bighorn I Raft Frame

By the way, I'm looking for another cross-bar with the attachment if anyone's got one...
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007   #5
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendodendo View Post
I called NRS and had them bend some "rainbows" for me that were the smallest bend they could make.
I would like to see a pic of this setup if you please.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007   #6

ww guide/ frame builder/welder, mobile fabrication gig
Paddling Since: 1988
i have made rainbows for several frames, they work pretty good. I guess my q would be, were the rainbows cheaper than just buying the 8" set up? or what led you to go with them? not knocking your choice, just curious.

Oarbender~
Old 09-17-2007   #7

saratoga, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1980
NRS frames on smaller rafts:

Hey guys,

I run a Maravia Spider which is almost 13ft long and 5'6" wide. I use the NRS fishing frame at 48"wide. It took a awhile for me to get things dialed in but I feel like I've got a pretty good idea.

The question began with oar size 8' - 9' then I talked with a few guys from Jackson who turned me on to the 8" oar towers. They make all the difference in the world. I decided to go with the 8'ers & 8"ers and the row over all is pretty sporty. 9' oars were just too big and heavy.

I feel real comfy rowing bigger water and have no problems with room at all... not even a thought during the strokes. I can surf and spin fairly well with it also.

Anyway... hope all is well in your all's world. The fishin is on fire on the North Platte and I won't be south o' the line for quite a bit...
rmpeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007   #8
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
I went with the "Rainbows" (NRS 1 5/8 pipe) and NRS low pro fittings as I felt that the height of the 8 in mounts was not sufficient. I also felt the the width of the super puma was very narrow for big water rowing. Using the "Rainbows", I have a wider stance so I can get more oar in the water and have a longer stroke. The price was around $110 with shipping (vs. $100 for 8 in mounts).

Pics are not that great as I rarely take them. Hope it gives you and idea of what you can do.

I set the "rainbows" to match the seat height. Then the 6 in mounts are great.

The other idea is to get DRE mounts. Have them make them long and you can cut them down yourself to the desired height.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brenden likes rowing.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	220  
Old 09-18-2007   #9

saratoga, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1980
"as I felt that the height of the 8 in mounts was not sufficient."

NRS build frames specifically for the Super Puma. Our boats are almost exactly the same except I have about 2 or 3 inches more lift in front. Anyway the 8" towers will work I promise and they are bomber. I'm not really sure about rainbows... seems like an expensive solution.
rmpeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007   #10
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Brendo those are awesome - I think if one could replace the oar tower with a small little fitting just to hold the oarlock - then use the rainbows - it would be a cheaper, stronger, lighter, more adjustable solution than the standard oar towers which I have to say do flop over sometimes with only the one bolt holding them.

I was thinking of even taking a regular NRS pipe fitting and drilling an oarlock size hole in it and attach it to your rainbows (basically these are the deluxe footbars but shorter). Or you could just drill a hole in the rainbows and weld a small sleeve in there but it would be costly and you would not have as much adjustment options. I asked NRS about doing the latter and they said it would cost A LOT (for the welding part).

If someone knows CAD we could design a small oarlock fitting...
mania is offline   Reply With Quote