Not impressed with my Aire landing pad - too cold, too hot. - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 05-15-2012   #1

norcal, California
Not impressed with my Aire landing pad - too cold, too hot.

Just spent a couple of nights on a brand new Aire landing pad; the large dark blue model. It is nice and cushy, but felt much much less insulating than my 1" Thermarest. First time I've ever been too cold in my down bag, (being down, the bag compresses a lot so you need a well insulated pad). My wife also complained that she was cold.

And in the sun it's too hot to touch. A lighter color might solve that, but the lack of insulation for sleeping is a deal breaker. Regretting this purchase.

barcolounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012   #2

Jenks, Oklahoma
jpwinc.com

the solution to your problem

my white 4 inch thick paco pad gets the job done for me in situations like you describe!
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012   #3

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
I always wondered if I was crazy, but my 4" paco sleeps real cold too. It's also dark blue. I bring a sheet out if I'm in the tent and it seems to warm things up a bit.....
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012   #4

DGO, CO
Paddling Since: 2002
need a solid pad to keep your little footsies warms. any blow up air pad will will do this as the air in the pad cools to ambient temps and will retain no body heat like a solid pad will
Old 05-16-2012   #5

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
It's true

It's all about conduction. If you lay on the cold ground, it conducts warmth away from your body. In this case, the ground cools the air right next to it and the air circulates around the pad and eventually reaches your backside. So you have air the temperature of the ground right below the material. A solid pad puts more distance between you and the cold ground and is a better insulator because it doesn't conduct cold from the ground as well.
ArgoCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012   #6

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
The cheap solution:

Amazon.com: Coleman Stratus Fleece Sleeping-Bag Liner (Color May Vary): Sports & Outdoors

There are some for as little as $8.

Slip it on over the Paco; it keeps the cold PVC away from your skin. Most nights I sleep with my down sleeping bag open and right on the fleece. Haven't been cold on a Paco since.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012   #7

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcolounger
Just spent a couple of nights on a brand new Aire landing pad; the large dark blue model. It is nice and cushy, but felt much much less insulating than my 1" Thermarest. First time I've ever been too cold in my down bag, (being down, the bag compresses a lot so you need a well insulated pad). My wife also complained that she was cold.

And in the sun it's too hot to touch. A lighter color might solve that, but the lack of insulation for sleeping is a deal breaker. Regretting this purchase.
Do you drain the melt water in your cooler?
Old 05-16-2012   #8

norcal, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgoCat View Post
It's all about conduction. If you lay on the cold ground, it conducts warmth away from your body. In this case, the ground cools the air right next to it and the air circulates around the pad and eventually reaches your backside. So you have air the temperature of the ground right below the material. A solid pad puts more distance between you and the cold ground and is a better insulator because it doesn't conduct cold from the ground as well.
Interesting. My Thermarest inflates and it's toasty, but maybe something about that design prevents air from circulating between the foam and the shell. I guess paco-type pads are intended more for hot climates.
Old 05-16-2012   #9

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 1999
I love my landing pads I have. I have the blue and they can get hot in the sun but nothing a bucket of river water can't fix. Never had a problem with cold sleeping on them. Of course I never had them out in Alaska in February or anything. If you really don't like them I'd be willing to take them off your hands
rbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012   #10

norcal, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrain View Post
I love my landing pads I have. I have the blue and they can get hot in the sun but nothing a bucket of river water can't fix. Never had a problem with cold sleeping on them. Of course I never had them out in Alaska in February or anything. If you really don't like them I'd be willing to take them off your hands
If Cascade won't take 'em back you'll probably see 'em on gearswap. Fwiw, I'm not talking about AK in february, I'm talking about a nighttime low around 40 degrees. I imagine this is less of a problem if you have a synthetic sleeping bag.

Tags
aire