Nose plug...or not?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-19-2013   #1

bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
Nose plug...or not??

Does anyone know any tricks to not getting a nasal flush when rolling. I would love the freedom of not wearing one, but if I get flipped (without one) I instinctively blow air out my nose, leaving me less air in case of a missed first attempt. With a nose plug I can last way longer and with less panic. Any suggestions?

brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2013   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I used nose plugs my first couple seasons, and had the same problem as you, but over time you learn how to close off your nasal passageway fairly well. Now I only wear nose plugs if going to the play hole. Granted, if you get worked you are going to get the nasal douche, but generally it doesn't bother me on a combat roll anymore.... plus it's so much easier to breathe when running tough whitewater when your nose isn't plugged.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013   #3
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
What lmyers said.
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2013   #4

bc, CA
Imyers...do you get the pain from the nasal flush once you do it a few times. I have had my nose plug blown off a couple of times, at the play park or getting worked in a hole, and I have a really bad headache for about 1/2 hour after. Will this go away with practice.
Old 11-19-2013   #5

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
It doesn't so much go away, where as you build a tolerance to to it. I haven't boated with nose plugs in almost 6 years, and I only get that level of sinus pain/discomfort after I take a massive beating in something.
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013   #6
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Just wear the noseplugs. That's why they were invented. There are circles where noseplugs are not cool. If I'm creeking I'll often forgo the noseplugs, but they're on my helmet and if I think I might get worked in a hole I'm about to drop into I'll pop them on real quick like.

I do think you can train yourself to pressurize your sinuses rather than blow out air, but not sure if it's really worth it. My problem is the nasal douche seems to really irritate my sinuses and I'll wake up at 3am sneezing and sniffling. If it weren't for that I'd probably wear them less. But for playboating it just seems like a sensible thing to wear.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013   #7

bc, CA
Thanks everyone for your advice. It is not because I care about looking cool, but I have a latex sensitivity and end up with a very raw nose after a long run, but I don't want to end up with sinus problems either.
Old 11-19-2013   #8

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
My problem is the nasal douche seems to really irritate my sinuses and I'll wake up at 3am sneezing and sniffling. If it weren't for that I'd probably wear them less. But for playboating it just seems like a sensible thing to wear.
This. If I get water up my nose, I'm in for a rough night of pure liquid snot running like a faucet out of my nose. I hate nose plugs but it beats the alternative and I'm pretty used to them at this point.
mdignan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013   #9

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenda View Post
Imyers...do you get the pain from the nasal flush once you do it a few times. I have had my nose plug blown off a couple of times, at the play park or getting worked in a hole, and I have a really bad headache for about 1/2 hour after. Will this go away with practice.
Sure, the pain of cold river water running through your sinuses never goes away...but I personally only get a fraction of the water up my nose that I used to. I think part of it is training myself to pressurize my sinuses, and part of it is just getting used to it.

A 1/2 hour headache and waking up in the middle of the night miserable sound pretty extreme. If it affected me that badly I would probably still wear them all the time too....

It doesn't have anything to do with "looking cool", I simply can breathe better, which allows me to stay more relaxed and to get bigger, deeper breathes before flipping in a combat situation.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013   #10

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Why not keep some sterile saline solution in your shuttle rig if your symptoms are that bad? Whether you forget the plugs or they get yanked off, there's no reason you should have to endure the pain of the freshwater scrubbing beyond the takeout.

For me, what lmyers said. If its easier water or sections, I never wear them. Before difficult sections, I pop them on.
Sometimes I put them partially on (right at the bridge of my nose) Seems easier to let a little oxygen in and with moderate internal pressure keep water out while maintaining a lungful for a recovery.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote