non-sweet options? - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-06-2010   #1

Denver,, exhaustion
non-sweet options?

I know the sweet is the shit, really i do. And I know $400 compared to facial reconstructive surgery is cheap.

just wondering about experiences with other full face helmets are....
WRSI's snap on seems a bit soft....
SR just doesn't fit my head...
predator.... well it just seems to take a beating on the buzz.

Any real experience with any of these or any others worth a look?

(and yes i'm hoping the gf will "surprise" me at xmass with the sweet)

oh yeah.... caspermike, since you frequently get told "no need to reply",....feel free to go all out here.

Advertisement

Old 12-06-2010   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 09
Did you see the video on the sweet rocker vs. wrsi thread. That new wrsi full face looks pretty nice...If'n you can wait till February, $130 I think. That said, I think your girl should just pony up the four hundo if she wants to protect that pretty face of yours...
Mocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010   #3
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
The WRSI snap on mask is a joke. I had one that would literally pop off with no contact at all, just sitting there. I played with it for hours. They did the best they could I guess to cheaply retrofit more protection into their existing helmet. It just didn't work straight out of the box. I would have returned it, if I hadn't moved several hundred miles from the shop I purchased it at.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2010   #4

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn View Post
The WRSI snap on mask is a joke. I had one that would literally pop off with no contact at all, just sitting there. I played with it for hours. They did the best they could I guess to cheaply retrofit more protection into their existing helmet. It just didn't work straight out of the box. I would have returned it, if I hadn't moved several hundred miles from the shop I purchased it at.
I agree with glenn. The new WRSI however maybe a better made full face, but if you are serious about protecting your face a say spend the money, and by a sweet you will not regret it. Look for sales for the next little while. I was able to get one for about $271.00 and that included shipping.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010   #5

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Predator is legit, try one super comfy, they def been doing some r and d. The jaw peace might crack from a super hard hit, but probably won't blow all the way through. The jaw bone peices is basically the same wrapping they put around at paddles, carbon reinforced with thick epoxyed shell. It will save your face and you get great visual area, you want the jaw piece right on your jaw line,so your jaw isn't sticking out bottom. Teeth should be showing so you can clearly communicate with your crew... don't be the dude that buys a full face that doesn't fit your face, cranium is the easy part to fit. No snap on full faces, serious r and d needs done on that subject, doesn't seem solid, I'm sure Brian kirk, Kelsey Thompson, and the rest of the dudes that wear them don't have much negative thoughts bout them, try them out
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010   #6

Bozeman, MT
Paddling Since: 2000
hate to admit it, but myself, and 3 other paddling buddies were given the predator full faces as a hook up. only 1 out of 4 of us still wear them. I gave mine to a kid in Chile, and spent $300 on another sweet rocker instead. Things they could improve on - yes i saw a couple of the jaw pieces snap, so strengthen that. The fit pads, cheesy and absorb water. (the newest edition has the "sweet" look alike flames. ) The actual cranial fit, it's self. there is no other contact points other than the chin strap. Visualize you grampas motorcycle helmet from the 50's. It's heavy, and fills with water when upsidedown. Unless they improve the fit, i don't care how dope it looks. Having a proper fit that doesn't lift off you head when jacked around is the most important part of a helmet. I've found personally that sweets grip my head really well. Also a fan of shred ready. I think when shopping for a helmet, don't buy online, go to a shop and try on all of the brands and sizes, to see what fits best. Hope this helps
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010   #7

In this bullshit three-ring circus sideshow of freaks, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 1986
Send a message via AIM to kayakArkansas
SR

I'm pretty curious about this topic also. I'd love to have the Sweet but there's no way I'm dropping $400 right now, just not in the cards.

I've heard somewhat mixed, but mostly positive, reviews of the Shred Ready Standard. Sounds like fit-wise it just depends on the individual. I've become so accustomed to the hard-shell buckets over the years, I am having trouble convincing myself to go to plastic... Any input out there?
kayakArkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010   #8

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
FNA X-stream. Fna Headgear Watch a Green race video. Many paddlers are wearing this. Been wearing this lidd for about 3 seasons and taken a few shots. Best helmet I have ever worn. This is more of an old school helmet that you must outfit yourself.

hullflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010   #9

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Pat, that's to bad predators didn't work out for you I agree sweets are dope. However the newer predators have gotten better in my opinion. I got older version, bill snapped off quick.. anyways got Thursday thru sat off, want to hit quake, running at 931! Or does anybody want to go Kayaking and boarding this weekendish
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010   #10
Don

Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
SR

Check out the Shred Ready Fullface. Tom builds a great helmet.