Nomad8.5 seat position? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-27-2014   #1

Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
Nomad8.5 seat position?

At 205lbs, where is the seat best for optimal handling? Considering that moving the seat is a bit of hassle,I would probably just pad the backband if my wt. needs to go forward a bit. Any suggestions appreciated. Just got the boat. Its the older, 2012, outfitting.

JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2014   #2
addict

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I think seat position in the Nomad might be more dependent on your height. I'm 5'10" and 185 lbs. In my Nomad I move the seat forward of center, but not quite all the way.
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014   #3

Enfield, New Hampshire
Boats are sensitive to paddler wt, not height. Height issues are easily solved by moving the foot braces. I am concerned about where my mass should be in relation to the length of the boat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2014   #4

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Easiest way is to get it in water and have someone check the trim/waterline.
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014   #5

Enfield, New Hampshire
Sometimes boats paddle better when loaded more towards one end, eg Clay says the JKs are better off when paddled more loaded towards the back;is there something similar with Nomads in people's experience?
Old 02-27-2014   #6

Whistler, BC
Paddling Since: 1986
Actually jimm, if it was just about weight then everyone would have their seat in the same position as it would always be centred.

It's more about height and weight distribution - eg. Someone with long legs who does a lot of running (therefore big muscular legs and lighter torso) is going to move their seat back to balance their forward centre of gravity. Someone the exact same weight but short legs and a long torso is going to want to move their seat forward as their centre of gravity will be further back.

So if you have short legs and a big gut move seat forward. If you're about average weight distribution then leave the seat centred and if you have a skinny little torso and huge legs then move the seat back.
PhilM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014   #7

Enfield, New Hampshire
Totally agree, Phil.However, I wanted feedback from someone my wt with an average body configuration who may have found some difference in performance with varying seat position.
Old 02-27-2014   #8

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Start off with the seat in the middle position, paddle it for a while to get a baseline. After that, experiment with forward and back to find the spot that works best for your style of paddling. When I had my Nomad, I has it one hole forward of center, with the bulkhead pushed as far forward as I could make it go. (I am 6'3", 34" inseam, 200lbs and a size 13 shoe)
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014   #9

x, x
Paddling Since: x
i think,
if you move your seat forward you will bring your legs up higher to fill the thigh brace, knee pocket.

if you move your seat back it will lower your knee hight on the thigh brace.

if your seat is all the way forward it is hard to tuck forward

if you move your seat back it is easy to tuck forward.

this will affect your mass distribution.

try it, you will see what i mean.

for me, at least with my seat all the way back I can tuck way further forward. putting my mass over the center or front center of the boat.

It will depend on your size and strength

tiny people put their seat way forward and drive the boat from the front

big tall people put the seat back and drive from the center.

i dont think anyone drives a boat from the back 3rd, it will turn out and get back endered.

no matter how much trouble it is to move your seat, if you dont do it and paddle a few miles, you'll never know the difference between the settings.

this topic has been beaten to death for years.

i know guys that buy a boat, get in it and love it or hate it, and i know guys that buy a boat, move the seat and braces etc, and learn the boat.

effort gets reward
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote