Nomad size... etc. - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-11-2009   #1

Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Nomad size... etc.

I'm 6' and 160 lbs w/o paddling gear.

I've been paddling an '06 nomad 8.1 for two seasons. I'm really happy with most of it. My two complaints are (no surprise):

1. Flip switch system (actually the real problem is the backband straps slip at the backband when I flex and push for a boof)

2. back deck access

I know the newer nomads have better access to the back deck so I should be good with anything newer. I also know the '10 models go to the ratchet system. I think I've seen photos of an '09 with the ratchet system, but wasn't sure (could have been a demo boat etc.). Can someone clarify what year they switched to the ratchet.

Also, I'm on the weight range cusp and wondering what the recommendations would be, should I stick with the smaller 8.1 or go up to the 8.5.

We are planning on doing a couple of self-support trips for next summer (nothing crazy), but mostly just looking to keep creeking in the -V/V range in Colorado.

B.C.
rockinRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2009   #2
doesn't need a fake name

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Sounds like you like the way the Nomad paddles, but have you thought about the Fluid Expedition Solo? I'd say it's in between the Nomad sizes, and access to the back is really easy because it has a hatch. I paddled the expedition model for a few years, and I now paddle the non-expedition. I've been thinking about switching back. And it has ratchets. Try to get the new Mod3 outfitting if you can, but the old stuff works too.
leif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
160 lbs is a decent weight for the 8.1, but at 6ft with gear in the boat, the nomad 8.5 will be fine, maybe better. I paddled the 8.5 for several years and loved it. My thoughts are that 8.5 will be faster and the extra volume will keep you on the surface better and punch holes better. Try one out.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flip switch, nomad 8.1 vs 8.5