No Vacancy? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-27-2009   #1

Steamboat, Colorado!
Paddling Since: 2005
No Vacancy?

A few years back I bought a No Vacancy sticker and lots of people had shirts... Does anybody know where you can purchase those still? I am considering littering my campus with them and hoping the Texans will get the message

jen84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2009   #2

Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Get ahold of scotty baker. Pretty sure he has the patent/copyright. He's not an easy man to find. Good luck. You might search under "Pow Wow Productions".
Joe
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009   #3

Steamboat, Colorado!
Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks, we are both from Greeley(scary), I bought a bunch from him back in the day... He should start selling them again!
jen84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2009   #4

Chico, California
Paddling Since: 2003
Nothing like telling people they don't deserve to live in a beautiful state.

Nothing like telling people that we don't want their out of state tuition at our public universities.

Nothing like intolerance at any level. Sorry for the social commentary but consider the message you are sending and the blanket statement you are making when you litter your stickers all over YOUR campus. I hate urban sprawl and everything that comes with overcrowding and as a native Coloradoan I hate to see the front range torn up over my last 30 years too but consider the message you are sending. The only thing you will accomplish is making native Coloradoans look like pretentious ass holes.
rideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Yeah. What he said.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009   #6

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
As a non-native I find it hard to start saying that we should raise the drawbridge now. I also have to say that I've been to East LA and am not looking forward to the Front Range becoming like that (no, its NOT like that already). Colorado's population is expected to greatly increase in the next couple of decades, we'll see more water diverted to the Front Range, more crowding in the forests and on the rivers, and especially the highways leading to them. The "Colorado Splash" will continue as more from out of state move to the population centers, and more veterens get disgusted and move out of the population centers to the smaller towns in rural areas, raising property values and taxing infrastructure. This is something that's going to affect us all. If you're living in Durango, Creede, or wherever you may think you've gotten away from it all, bit by bit you'll find more traffic on the roads and the trails you're used to having to yourself will suddenly have people you've never seen who don't say "Hello" or even look at you when you meet them. Welcome to "Chamisaville" - the fictional town that John Nichols wrote about in his series of novels starting with "The Milagro Beanfield War".

At the risk of a threadjack, anyone got any solutions?
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009   #7

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
i hate gapers and front rangers... soooo there.

But on a side note i've seen the stickers alot and understand the concept. but then again growing the populous actually lowers costs of living as it forces development. And honestly more and more people are leaving the mountains... either way i think it evens out in the long run.
Old 08-27-2009   #8

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Oh boy, big ol' can o' worms.

I am a non-native who first moved to Vail in 1978. I was able to escape Eagle County before the first stop light got installed. I moved to Boulder to finish school, then went to Austin, TX for work. That didn't last long (Texas, even the Austin version, sucks) and my wife and I headed to the relative isolation of Durango in 1991, and we bought a crummy little fixer-upper house out of town, in the mtns, on a little river. Perfect, right? Well, sorta. Not so long after we arrived, Durango started growing, quickly... and continued until the recent collapse. Traffic jams, while not Front Range level, are commonplace. City-like rudeness is much more commonplace. Strange faces at the grocery store are commonplace. Crowded rivers and backcountry are commonplace. Not so quaint anymore.

Yeah, I offered to lock the gate behind me in 1991. The locals laughed. The sad reality is that, at least until the collapse, that growth took once-little Durango from a totally seasonal economy with brutally long shoulder seasons, to a year-round economy with some opportunity. Growth is a mixed bag. You trade quiet and privacy and small town charm for opportunity. The question is, where do you draw the line? And, whom do you exclude from the dream? I certainly don't have the answer. I do know that the population shouldn't exceed the water supply, no matter what clever schemes the engineers might propose. But who gets to decide when the carrying capacity is reached, and who is greeted with the angry, glowing "no vacancy" sign? I dunno.

I do know that Durango is a hell of a lot better than a lot of urban locations, and people will continue to move here, despite my wish that they didn't. My wife would like to move to Bluff, UT. Part of me would too. Except the part that has to earn a living.
Old 08-27-2009   #9

Chico, California
Paddling Since: 2003
This thread has officially been jacked, thanks in no small part to me, I know, my bad. Unfortunately, I think on the larger issues there are more problems than solutions. Sustainability, over development and lack of natural resources are serious issues that come with more folks moving to any certain location. I wish I had some answers to the concerning questions but I don't.

Imagine for a minute though, if someone crafted a new sticker which said "Stay in Greeley" or told you that you didn't deserve to live in Steamboat or Denver or the Fort or wherever you are, simply because you were born in Greeley. Same idea, just a little more focused, and I am sure you would take offense. Slippery slope.

None of the problems or issues raised in this thread will ever be solved without a basic respect for others and a motivation to change. When will people get that?

Alright, that's it, I will stop for good. This struck a petty nerve of mine, but no more bitching from me. Over and out.

Scott
rideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009   #10

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
^that's a very good point... there obviously is a time where the resoruses run out for the capacity of the population. Vail is a great example. Summers are great! But then the season starts, i get my gear on and teach snowboarding 150 some days the season, the employee housing is PACKED and over priced, etc. etc.

I moved down to Gypsum to be further away from all that and closer to Shoshone =)

But i see the ability for Gypus and Eagle to grow to a point that would surpass Vail / Avon. First there is land to be developed and placed for commerece to develop, therefore increasing city revenue and allowing for more expansion... Both towns FEED off Vail's tourism but is far enough away from it that the tourists remain up valley and the locals stay down here.

I have to admit CO has some very interesting demographics to study, especially from the entrepreneur's standpoint.