No name cat tubes in Utah - ad withdrawn - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-01-2010   #1
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
No name cat tubes in Utah - ad withdrawn

In line with trying to cut through the BS and getting accuracy in product representation, here is another topic:

So I was just perusing the swap, and there was an add for some 16' cat tubes for $1500 that some dude named tyler was peddling from Utah as a no-name manufacturer, which were foreign made by the guys addmission. There were some comments from users about how the tubes appeared to be expensive and not as good a quality as other cheaper tubes such as maxxon. The guy was arguing back that his tubes were better and thicker than maxxons and of a similar quality to NRS, etc, and that he "new good quality rubber" as he has been a guide for 15 years.

Couple suggestions to people seriously looking at the tubes this guy Tyler in Utah has for sale:

They look to be PVC, not rubber, and he said they were only 1100 denier

They don't have a bottom chafe strip over the linear glued seam.

Maxxon tubes are several hundred $ cheaper, have bottom wear strip and are made of 2200 denier PVC (way burlier) and are atleast made by a company that has a long track record of making boats (although foreign PVC glue jobs).

However, I will give credit where credit is due, at least this guy didn't claim the tubes were "puncture proof"

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2010   #2

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
You mean this guy? He's still got the ad up on a popular Utah classified site:

ksl.com - Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010   #3
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
yes, that is the "rubber" master
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2010   #4

Portland, Oregon
that's funny!
Wirednoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010   #5
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
I was kind of curious so I googled the phone number on the add. It appears that Mr. Utah has found his new calling in the Church of Zebec (I think) as a PVC reseller:

KSL.com Mobile

The phone number is for a company called National Park Tourz
Old 02-02-2010   #6
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
I actually met the guy in person here. From talking to him he told me him and his brother were making the boats themselves. I didn't realize they were produced in China.

The 16 footer I was looking at, looked like it was well made, had a lot of d-rings and clean seams. He was asking $2200 for a 16 footer PVC boat.
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010   #7
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
No, from what I can infer from his add before he deleted it, he said he got the "rubber" from Korea, which would point to Woosung IB (Zebec). Also some useres asked where the boats were made. He didn't say. One would assume that if he actually made them himself, he would defenenitely tout such. In all practical purposes, it wouldn't make much sense to import a whole crap load of PVC from Korea and build the boats in the U.S. if your goal is to produce a less expensive boat to complete with the higher end U.S. brands. It would make way more sense to Just have them build the boats, cause they are cheap labor. Shipping weight between the raw PVC fabric vs the glued up complete boat would be essentially the same.

The main thing that prompted me to post, was the outlandish claims the guy made in his add comments in reponse to some user comments which were totally false, such as claiming his boats were way thicker fabric than Maxxon when reality his are half the fabric denier. Then when getting a few straight forward questions from users on the construction and quality, deleting the add all together when people weren't buying the BS. I am not affiliated with any boating company, but it pisses me off when salesmen either don't know what they are selling or lie their asses off just to make a couple bucks. In this case, the evidence points to the latter.

The thing is I am not opposed to this guy selling import boats at all, just be truthful in what your product is (and conversely is not) and let the market decide if the price is right.

So why didn't you buy one?
Old 02-02-2010   #8
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
It would be great if Tyler would post some info on his boats here so users can evaluate a potential purchase, such as:

1. What are the specs of the fabric

2. What is the construction method

3. Where are the boats made

4. What is the warranty on construction

5. What are the specs on the boat, length width, No. of chanmbers, valve type, floor type, etc.

Thanks,
Old 02-02-2010   #9
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
I was all ready to dish out the cash, but Maravia gave me a great deal, so basically for a grand more I got a brand new custom made Maravia to my specs and colors. Maravia offers 10 year warranty and of course a well known company. I am a believer of you get what you pay for. I am glad I went the route I did.

Regardless, his boat that I saw looked pretty good to me. In fact I took some pictures of it that I still have in my phone. But I will let Tyler advertise his own product.
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010   #10

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
The boats you reference are boats to go, dba saturn, Miami FL single cell, no chafe strips top or bottoms.

And I'm out pushing SOTARs now. It's the USA Oregon thing.
garystrome is offline   Reply With Quote