Newbie question - Ash cans? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-06-2012   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Newbie question - Ash cans?

Seeking wisdom... I know about fire restrictions. Trying to get a jump start on gear for next year.

I'm curious where most people store their ashes? 50 cal ammo can? What works best?

sc00ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012   #2

Denver, Colorado
For overnight trips using 14ft raft.
Old 08-06-2012   #3

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
50 mil would work great.. I use the 20mm rocket box for 5 nights and its just about perfect..
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012   #4

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I have been using a Vittles Vault for the past two years. I added tie down handles for securement in the boat. It's light weight, holds a lot, and has a generous opening for dumping in the ashes. It is plastic, so you must dump your ashes in the morning when they are cold. We do a ton of DO cooking, but aren't really into the nightly campfire. I've found that we never come close to filling the VV, so for my next trip I'll be using a medium size ammo can. It will take up a little bit less room in the boat than the VV. I'll see how I like it.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
As an aside to this discussion, one trick is to strain the ashes and then carry any chunks of charcoal to the next campsite where you can use it in the fire the next night. This way you're never carrying more than one night's worth of ash and charcoal.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012   #6
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Nice trick Andy, thanks for the tip. Did you have a good run last weekend?
Old 08-06-2012   #7

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Cat litter scoopers work great for this, as long as the fire is cold
Old 08-06-2012   #8

Denver, Colorado
Great stuff! Thank you all for your replies.
Old 08-07-2012   #9
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
As an aside to this discussion, one trick is to strain the ashes and then carry any chunks of charcoal to the next campsite where you can use it in the fire the next night. This way you're never carrying more than one night's worth of ash and charcoal.
Most rangers in Lodore/Yampa area wouldn't be happy hearing about ash in the river. Most ash gets collected in eddies and it looks like crap until next high season hits.

I personally dump all ash, left over burnt wood and dump the remains from the fire blanket into 20mm ammo can. Then the next night dump it back onto firepan and reburn it. Nothing goes in the river.

We usually have 2-3 ammo cans designated for ash and trash. It works great bringing charcoal in an ammo can for your assigned dinners and then using that ammo can for ash collection. Whoever cooks first night starts the ash or trash ammo can, then when gets full, start another.

Ammo cans work great for ash, especially if it's still hot. I just put the whole ammo can in the river to cool it off and if it's really hot, pour some river water inside. 5 mins and the hot ash is ready to get packed in the boat.

Alex
Old 08-07-2012   #10

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazak4x4 View Post
Most rangers in Lodore/Yampa area wouldn't be happy hearing about ash in the river. Most ash gets collected in eddies and it looks like crap until next high season hits.

I personally dump all ash, left over burnt wood and dump the remains from the fire blanket into 20mm ammo can. Then the next night dump it back onto firepan and reburn it. Nothing goes in the river.

We usually have 2-3 ammo cans designated for ash and trash. It works great bringing charcoal in an ammo can for your assigned dinners and then using that ammo can for ash collection. Whoever cooks first night starts the ash or trash ammo can, then when gets full, start another.

Ammo cans work great for ash, especially if it's still hot. I just put the whole ammo can in the river to cool it off and if it's really hot, pour some river water inside. 5 mins and the hot ash is ready to get packed in the boat.

Alex
While I'm not Andy, I'm guessing he means straining the ash into an ash container and then saving the big stuff for the next's night fire.