Newbie: Cataraft Transpot Bag? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-26-2010   #1

SLC, Utah
Newbie: Cataraft Transpot Bag?

So, I'm a newbie, and have a probably dumb question: How do you transport your cataraft tubes un-inflated?

I put them in the center of the frame on the trailer, but found when I got to the put-in, a couple of rub spots on the tubes from contact with the frame during transport (from highway and dirt road vibration is my guess, an ammo can in the next compartment was likely the culprit, but the frame also should rub spots). I assume a bag of some sort to keep wear on the bag instead of the tubes? Large duffel maybe? Or is there something special?

Luckily, no puncture. Unfortunately, 1 or 2 small, but fairly significant wear spots, about the size of a dime. Would you put a patch on it just to be safe? Or leave it as is until it leaks? They are PVC tubes.... And, if patching, any tips for a first timer?

Thanks!

roadtripryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2010   #2

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I use NRS boat bags. Both tubes would probably fit in one bag, but I got a bag for each tube to make it easier for loading. I've haven't had any wear on my tubes with these bags. I am careful about placement of the tubes in my trailer, and try not to put the tubes under heavy / sharp stuff as much as possible.
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010   #3

Boulder, Colorado
We used the cardboard boxes Aire shipped ours in until they disintegrated, now have them in 2 huge blue plastic tubs I picked up at Home Depot.
yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2010   #4

Jenks, Oklahoma
Tube Bags

Jacks Plastic Welding makes Cat boat bags, I have used two of them for years to protect my Aire Leopard tubes and zero problems.

Also have the large NRS boat bag for my Aire 143 self bailer and it works well..

JPW bags are solid and give 100 percent protection.

NRS bag are solid front and back with mesh sides which do let some air in.

Both good products.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #5

Louisville, Colorado
wrapped in a tarp (which also goes on river as scrim or shelter)....strapped onto the frame in the center of the trailer.
catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #6

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
We have boat bags (cordura nylon) which came with our boats, but I also make sure to put a tarp around/on top of them. Once I got a fair amount of wear on the boat with the bag, prompting the redundant protection of the tarp. I like the idea of the JPW bags, those must be bomber!
Old 09-27-2010   #7

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
We have boat bags (cordura nylon) which came with our boats, but I also make sure to put a tarp around/on top of them. Once I got a fair amount of wear on the boat with the bag, prompting the redundant protection of the tarp. I like the idea of the JPW bags, those must be bomber!
oops, not wear on the boat in the bag, just wear on the bag with the boat in it.
Old 09-27-2010   #8

pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I don't use anything and have never had a problem. Roll em up and use a 4' strap each. when loaded I have a nice place right behind my truck cab that they fit nicely in. I don't stack anything on them.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010   #9

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
i have two "laundry" bags that I got at a dive shop. picture a duffle bag (top loading) that also has a full leangth zipper. work great. before that i just had 2 heavy cordurra bags. works just as well, but the zippers make it so much easier.

i'd patch the wear spots, structural integrity might already be an issue and if they aren't aire type bladder system, you could be in for a real bad day on the water.
for patching pvc tubes, go to the aire site or you tube. they have some easy to follow videos. would you rather patch them up in your garage, or on the side of the river? my 2 cents.
MountainMedic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bag, cataraft