New vs old? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-10-2012   #1

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: 2000
New vs old?

I am looking at some used rafts as well as a few new ones. I see 20 yr old Maravia and Sotar rafts on the swap here and some older avon rafts on craigslist. Is an almost 20 year old raft like a Maravia really worth near 2000 price tag vs a new Rocky Mountain Raft at 2500 and a warranty. I have a hard time believing the newer raft wont outlast those higher end older rafts. What are your thoughts?

mtfunfloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2012   #2

Livingston, Montana
Paddling Since: 1974
Great post. I picked up a new rmr last summer for 2k. Sure seems like a great boat to me, rather than potentially buying someone else's problems. Time will tell.
mtgreenheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012   #3

Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
I have owned 3 SOTARs they had some issues about 15-16 years ago of fabric delaminating, they were excellent about their warranty, but I would be very cautious about buying one from that time frame and earlier. Hopefully Rocky Mountain is hypalon?
rivers2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2012   #4

Fresno, California
Paddling Since: 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivers2run View Post
Hopefully Rocky Mountain is hypalon?
NO!

It's welded PVC. It won't have the seam problems you will see from glued PVC, but it's still PVC which develops pin holes after 10 years or so. That's why AIRE uses urethane bladders (vinyl on the cheaper imports).

Well cared for hypalon boats stay airtight for decades
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012   #5

Great Falls, Montana
RMR rafts are PVC but so are Aires and no one has too much bad stuff to say about them. I thought it was glued seams PVC that was the real no-no. The RMR PVC has welded seams.
I know Hypalon is the best but if you cant afford it there must be some options out there. I am not pushing the RMR raft at all, just want some input. NRS makes the Revolution series which only has a 1 yr warranty on the website. RMR at least is 5 yrs.
I would love a Maravia, Sotar or NRS Expedition but i will never afford one unless they are 20 yrs old. So is a 20 yr old boat worth looking at when there are rafts for the same price or close with a 5 yr warranty. Seriously- is the older boat worth a good look when they still want 2000 for one or do i consider a low to middle tier raft with warranty??????
Old 06-10-2012   #6

Fresno, California
Paddling Since: 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtfunfloater View Post
RMR rafts are PVC but so are Aires and no one has too much bad stuff to say about them. I thought it was glued seams PVC that was the real no-no. The RMR PVC has welded seams.
Reading is hard?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
It's welded PVC. It won't have the seam problems you will see from glued PVC, but it's still PVC which develops pin holes after 10 years or so. That's why AIRE uses urethane bladders (vinyl on the cheaper imports).

Well cared for hypalon boats stay airtight for decades

AIRE's PVC don't hold air at all. The urethane bladder does

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtfunfloater View Post
I know Hypalon is the best but if you cant afford it there must be some options out there. I am not pushing the RMR raft at all, just want some input. NRS makes the Revolution series which only has a 1 yr warranty on the website. RMR at least is 5 yrs.
I would love a Maravia, Sotar or NRS Expedition but i will never afford one unless they are 20 yrs old. So is a 20 yr old boat worth looking at when there are rafts for the same price or close with a 5 yr warranty. Seriously- is the older boat worth a good look when they still want 2000 for one or do i consider a low to middle tier raft with warranty??????
I'm not going to tell you what to buy. There's lots of good stuff out there. Each material has it's advantages and disadvantages. The advantage for PVC is that it's cheap and fairly abrasive resistant. It's disadvantages are weight and it don't hold air.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012   #7

Medford, Oregon
Not to denigrate Aire boats but I did a GC trip where an inner bladder failed and they could not properly repair it on the river so they headed down with the rear raft rolled up. Every manfacture has its' issues over time. Glued seams for PVC is a 20+ year old technology don't go there. I don't know enough about RMR. You might pump it up over night and see how much air it loses. Does it have an inner bladder?
Old 06-10-2012   #8

Medford, Oregon
My only other suggestion is where are they made? if you have an issue where would you go for warranty help? I buy SOTARs because I live in Oregon and I am about 45 miles from their facility and they have a great track record for warranty issues. If you live in Idaho Maravia is in Boise easy access. If I lived in Idaho I would likely own a Maravia. Is RMR near by or will you have to ship it somewhere for warranty help? Local warranty help means a lot to me.
Old 06-10-2012   #9

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1982
I just bought a fully outfitted NRS Otter 142 self bailer. It is 8 years old but hasn't seen alot of use. I like the older hypalon material over the newer Pennal Orca. I found it on Craigslist. You have to be very patient and have a wad of cash in hand! If you are ready to spend $2500 on a new PVC boat, you might spend a little more and get a quality used hypalon boat that isn't worn out. The warranty would be nice, but by the time the boat gets old enough to start having problems, the warranty will be expired.
DBConnery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012   #10

Great Falls, Montana
[QUOTE=JustKip;278811]Reading is hard?

I was in the middle of replying to the other post when you posted this but thanks for trying to make me look like an ass

[QUOTE=JustKip;278811]AIRE's PVC don't hold air at all. The urethane bladder does

I realize they dont hold air, but the shell is still PVC so is it going to wear out like other PVC or is holding air the only issue with PVC?