New to Whitewater - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-07-2010   #1

Ottawa, Ontario
Paddling Since: 2009
New to Whitewater

Hey All,
Just signed up, looking for a little "get me started" gear advice after scanning some threads here.

We've (my fiance and I) been flat-water kayaking and canoeing for years, but decided this was the summer to jump to the good stuff.

I have a few questions to start off...

1. I am 6'4" and mostly leg, I tried a playboat last summer on some flat water, and I was crammed to say the least. Are there boats catered to the taller paddler?

2. Skid Lids... any recommendations? Ditto for paddles.

3. As experienced paddlers, but whitewater novices, we are planning to rent boats before we decide to buy. Are there boats geared to riders like us?

4. If such boats exist, will we outgrow them so fast that we're best to wait a season and buy a decent boat next spring?

Thanks!
Any other advice always welcome!

ThaLoveDocta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2010   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
1. There are some larger playboat designs; you may be more comfortable in a river runner hybrid; they tend to have more legroom. Maybe try the Liquid Logic CR.

2. Lots of good helmets out there. I really like my WRSI; it stays in place better than others I've tried, and you can get a faceguard for it down the road. Same goes for paddles; I have a Werner, but lots of good companies out there. Stay away from Aquabound.

3. Lots of paddle shops have demo boats you can try out. Give 'em a call, tell 'em your measurements, and let them recommend them.

4. Don't worry too much about outgrowing a boat. A lot of people start with a river-runner, then sell that and buy a creek boat and a play boat. The used boat market is pretty robust, and unless you trash your boats they retain quite a bit of value.
craven_morhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #3
gh

pnw, Colorado
Good news is that you are close to a fabulous river with a play wave, I think just north of town.
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2010   #4

Ottawa, Ontario
Paddling Since: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by craven_morhead View Post
1. There are some larger playboat designs; you may be more comfortable in a river runner hybrid; they tend to have more legroom. Maybe try the Liquid Logic CR.

2. Lots of good helmets out there. I really like my WRSI; it stays in place better than others I've tried, and you can get a faceguard for it down the road. Same goes for paddles; I have a Werner, but lots of good companies out there. Stay away from Aquabound.

3. Lots of paddle shops have demo boats you can try out. Give 'em a call, tell 'em your measurements, and let them recommend them.

4. Don't worry too much about outgrowing a boat. A lot of people start with a river-runner, then sell that and buy a creek boat and a play boat. The used boat market is pretty robust, and unless you trash your boats they retain quite a bit of value.
Thanks Craven, i will keep that in mind. We plan to demo a few of them, there's a couple of great outfits in Ottawa, (Trailhead for one) that have strong demo programs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh View Post
Good news is that you are close to a fabulous river with a play wave, I think just north of town.
Sure do!
I've been down the Ottawa a dozen or so times in a raft, but kayaking's a whole new ballgame.
ThaLoveDocta is offline   Reply With Quote