New to the sport - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-23-2012   #1

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2012
New to the sport

I will be starting to Kayak this summer and am looking for gear. I pretty much have the kayak picked but I am looking for a paddle still. I am 5'8" and will be on the river (Columbia in Oregon)at least 2-3 times a week. What length and material should I look for? I will be using a Advanced Elements Air Fusion Kayak. I have seen 2-4 piece paddles and was wondering if anyone could help me out. I am also taking sugestions on kayaks in the 600-800 dollar range.

Tommy630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2012   #2
swimming

behind your mom, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy630 View Post
I will be starting to Kayak this summer and am looking for gear. I pretty much have the kayak picked but I am looking for a paddle still. I am 5'8" and will be on the river (Columbia in Oregon)at least 2-3 times a week. What length and material should I look for? I will be using a Advanced Elements Air Fusion Kayak. I have seen 2-4 piece paddles and was wondering if anyone could help me out. I am also taking sugestions on kayaks in the 600-800 dollar range.
Buy a used kayak. Just got my pyranha recoil for $400 in great condition. I ended up getting a new paddle an AT ATX flexi and I love it, loads better than the super old werner I was using.
streetdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
I would suggest some sort of creekboat/river-runner. You can find new boats for a few more 100s over that $800 price-point. Have a new boat gives you a lot of perks (Warranty, new shell, new design, new outfitting). Whitewater is an ever progressing sport and kayaks have been getting better and better. You should stop by a shop to try out a few before you make the decision. As for the paddle... you are right on the brink between 194 centimeters and 197 centimeters. I would suggest a fiberglass paddle because they tend to be heavier duty and are cheaper. I know I used to go through sticks when I was just picking up kayaking. If I started out using carbon paddles,I would be broke right now. Don't forget the other essentials too: sprayskit, PFD, helmet, and probably at least a semi-drytop if the water is cold where you are looking to go kayaking. If it is in Colorado, then chances are that the water is cold.

Hope this info helped,

Zach
CKS
Kayaks, Kayak Accessories, Gear, Fishing Equipment, Kayaking Accessory
ckspaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2012   #4
swimming

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckspaddler View Post
I would suggest some sort of creekboat/river-runner. You can find new boats for a few more 100s over that $800 price-point. Have a new boat gives you a lot of perks (Warranty, new shell, new design, new outfitting). Whitewater is an ever progressing sport and kayaks have been getting better and better. You should stop by a shop to try out a few before you make the decision. As for the paddle... you are right on the brink between 194 centimeters and 197 centimeters. I would suggest a fiberglass paddle because they tend to be heavier duty and are cheaper. I know I used to go through sticks when I was just picking up kayaking. If I started out using carbon paddles,I would be broke right now. Don't forget the other essentials too: sprayskit, PFD, helmet, and probably at least a semi-drytop if the water is cold where you are looking to go kayaking. If it is in Colorado, then chances are that the water is cold.

Hope this info helped,

Zach
CKS
Kayaks, Kayak Accessories, Gear, Fishing Equipment, Kayaking Accessory

Ya but if he's new to the sport (like me) he has no idea what kind of boating he wants to do. I'd suggest an all-around boat on the cheap. < $400 vs. $1100 is a huge difference... Just look at the gear swap here. My outfitting looks brand new and the local shop charged me $11 to fit it to me with a little extra foam. Find a used paddle too because I agree you might lose it. Buy a new skirt, helmet, and PFD so it fits perfectly. My wife is using a 3mm wetsuit (for now) instead of a dry top and she hasn't been cold at all. Just my $0.02 from someone also new. Then again of course a shop employee will tell you to buy new lol.
Old 05-23-2012   #5

Walla Walla, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
I think you guys are missing something. He wants to kayak the Columbia, think more lake than river. Get a nice sea kayak and call it a day.
Old 05-23-2012   #6

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by hand8272 View Post
I think you guys are missing something. He wants to kayak the Columbia, think more lake than river. Get a nice sea kayak and call it a day.
Ha, good catch.

@Tommy630, I think your first step is to head down to Alder Creek, they have a boathouse in Jansen Beach and one downtown near OMSI or try Next Adventure (There are other shops in town as well I just like Alder and Next Adventure.) They have a lot of get out and paddle days where for little or no cost they will set you up and let you paddle around with their guides/instructors. They will help you figure out what gear you need and sizes. From there hit Craigslist and see what you can find. There is always a ton of people in the area dumping flatwater kayak gear.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012   #7
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Yea, the columbia is total lake boating. A small sea kayak 13'ish about 24" wide with a rudder would work great. Also a deck hatch is nice to have on a lake boat. I'd say that you are looking at about a 230cm paddle with 45 degree offset. get a 1 piece paddle. break downs are for emergency paddles. if ya break one. Also, really check the plastci out in used boat. Most are good, but take a flashlight and really look for cracks on the inside and outside of the hull. Watch out for weird coloration (like sun damage). And lastly, make sure your butt is comfy in the boat. And for more than just 5 minute. I can't tell ya how many ppl buy a boat and get it to the river only to have their leggs fall asleep in 20 minutes of fun. good luck
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012   #8
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriBri1 View Post
head down to Alder Creek
Great people. got my last boat there!
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012   #9
swimming

hahahahahaha that's funny, guess he does know what kinda boating he wants to do.
Old 05-23-2012   #10

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Try some boats out. This is my first year of white water and I'm on my third boat. Really liking this one.