New to the forum - enjoy R2 (Trib 9.5?) - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-11-2011   #1

The West, Washington
New to the forum - enjoy R2 (Trib 9.5?)

Hey guys,

I've been around this forum a bit, but never actually registered and posted. Seems like a great community, and quite the resource for rafters. I'm in the market for a used Aire Tributary 9.5 sb. They do seem hard to find, however, and I'm in California.

Are there similar rafts that I should be looking for that might be more likely to pop up? I know it's tight, but 1000 is around my budget.

Thanks!

Greg

GregMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2011   #2

The West, Washington
Whoops - should have also mentioned I'm looking at the Rocky Mountain 9 sb, though I doubt I could find a used one.
Old 09-12-2011   #3
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I would look to the Hyside Mini-Me, the Aire Puma, a Jack's Plastic boat, or the RM Rafts boat (but I hear they are way back-ordered). I paddled a Trib duckie the other day and they just aren't where it's at. The valves suck, the warranty is shorter, and in general it feels like a cheaper boat. I'm a big fan of Aire, but the Trib doesn't seem to be near the quality of the real Aire.

You're going to love having a 9 footer when water is low, but this should be a reason to pursue durability. If it was a high water boat you might never touch a rock.

If you're a river professional, the pro price on a Puma is just a couple hundred above your budget and you'll get that ten year warranty. If you're not, you probably make real money so invest in the best and you'll have it for life!
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2011   #4

Carbondale, Colorado
The 10 foot Mini Max is little bigger and more sturdy
ScottyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #5
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
But the Mini Max is a Hyside Rio Bravo product, which are plagued by damage when used on rocky rivers. Hyside's Outfitter boats are made with a much beefier hypalon. I suggest steering clear of the lower-teir boats by major manufacturers. The RMR boat is in the same price range at the Mini Max and seems to be a much beefier boat, though I'm yet to use one so I can't vouch for this.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #6

The West, Washington
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I was hoping for more glowing reviews of the tribs.

Given the responses I've received, and reading around the site, it looks like the mini-me is the boat I should set my sites on. I'll be using the boat for R2 more than anything else, and if I wanted to do an overnight I'm sure I could make it work, as I'm used to packing for ultralight backpacking trips (dehydrated food, etc).

I hope I can find a used one for a reasonable price, I appreciate the insight guys!

Greg
Old 09-12-2011   #7

Denver (only b/c of school), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I would look for an Aire Puma. In my opinion it beats the Mini Me, hands down. It's the perfect R2 boat but is also a great R3 boat when/if you need it. Also, I've taken some pretty hairy swims out of a Mini Me, but the same line in a Puma was money. I've also taken a swims out of a Mini Me that completely caught me off guard b/c we were straight and it wasn't anything that I would ever have thought would be a flipper. To me the Puma is way more stable and more versatile. Basically- you couldn't pay me to get back in a Mini Me but I'll hop in a Puma any day.
McRvrrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #8

The West, Washington
I had considered a Puma, but the price difference (grad student) is a big factor. I've been flipping a lot of other toys to raise money for this, so I'm not exactly flush at the moment haha. If I see a deal, I'll certainly jump on it, but I guess I'm not too hopeful. They are killer boats from what I've seen and read.

EDIT: Are you at DU McRvrrat?
Old 09-12-2011   #9

Denver (only b/c of school), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I'm at Metro State. It's one of the State schools in Denver. Way cheaper than than DU. Good luck in your search. I know about being a broke student. I'd totally save and keep looking for a deal- to me, the price difference is worth it. Needless to say, I'm still pumaless but I know what I want so I just keep looking. But then again- I hated the Mini Me w/ a passion.

ps. guided for a company that bought some Tribs b/c they're cheap- worst boat ever.
McRvrrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011   #10

The West, Washington
Haha, yeah I hear that about DU. Without the scholarships I wouldn't have gone. That's interesting that you hated the Mini-Me so much, while I know it's tippy I haven't heard anyone really dislike it - only people who preferred a different boats for different purposes.