New to paddling- Ina Zone 222 Pyranah questions - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-12-2008   #1

New to paddling- Ina Zone 222 Pyranah questions

Hey guys!

I am looking at getting a Pyranah Ina Zone 222 tomorrow, which I found used on craigslist. I am 6'1.5" and I currently weigh 180 lbs. I will be up to a weight of about 200 in the next year or so. Every website says this is a boat for paddlers up to 175 lbs, but Pyranah's website says that it has an optimal load weight of 266lbs.
.: www.pyranha.com :.

Is anyone farmiliar with this boat who could tell me whether or not they think it will work for me?

I was looking for a versatile boat in which I could do some playing but mostly river running. It looks like this boat will be able to handle some pretty decent whitewater II's and III's.

It looks like I would ideally want the Ina Zone 232 if I were to get this series but I have to get what's available on craigslist.

How do I find out if the boat will fit me height wise, I haven't seen any specs which list paddler heights for each boat.

Thanks for the help

steltz02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2008   #2

B.F.E., Wyoming
The biggest thing is fit. If your interested in buying it ask the guy if you can get in it and see if you can even do that. If that works you can fine tune the fit later...
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008   #3

inazone

My friends inazone 222 is just a hair to small for me at 6'0 180. I paddled an inazone 230 5 years ago. Was a great fit and all around boat for me from gore creek to gore canyon. I would sure sit it one before buying it.
powderslut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2008   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderslut View Post
My friends inazone 222 is just a hair to small for me at 6'0 180. I paddled an inazone 230 5 years ago. Was a great fit and all around boat for me from gore creek to gore canyon. I would sure sit it one before buying it.
I am going to sit in it tomorrow, but it is quite a drive form me to get up there. You have essentially the same size body size as me, so maybe it won't be worth it. Was it because you were too tall or what? Do you think it is worth a look?

Also what do you think about the weight limit.

What do I feel for when I sit in it, if I 'fit' will it work, or should I fit a certain way, I pretty much don't know anything about this except I am trying to find a nice kayak for cheap and I don't want to be disappointed after I buy it.
Old 07-12-2008   #5

inazone

I don't think you will fit if you are my size. I was to tall by a few inches at least and that was barefoot . You should be snug in the kayak but so tight that it is unbearable. I would look for a 230 or big easy something bigger than 220 hope this helps. I have a 230 I will sell you if you ever make out west. Good Luck
powderslut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderslut View Post
I don't think you will fit if you are my size. I was to tall by a few inches at least and that was barefoot . You should be snug in the kayak but so tight that it is unbearable. I would look for a 230 or big easy something bigger than 220 hope this helps. I have a 230 I will sell you if you ever make out west. Good Luck
Ya he was offering me a great deal of 300 with the helmet, paddle (cheap paddle), vest, skirt, and the boat. But if I don't fit in the boat I guess it is really worth zero to me.

Thanks for the advice. I think I would have ended up being disappointed.
Old 07-13-2008   #7

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Inazone 222 - no go

Given your size I doubt you'd fit in the 222 so I would suggest to keep looking. Plus, the design of the boat really isn't the best for a heavy paddler. The Inazone has a low cut bow without a lot of rocker by today's standards. I think you'd find that you'd be pearling (bow sinks under the surface of the water and doesn't resurface easily) getting frustrated.

I'm 6'0" and when I was 185 pounds (ten pounds ago) I paddled an Inazone 232 quite a bit. I'd suggest you keep looking.

Best,

Mark
ibyakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibyakn View Post
Given your size I doubt you'd fit in the 222 so I would suggest to keep looking. Plus, the design of the boat really isn't the best for a heavy paddler. The Inazone has a low cut bow without a lot of rocker by today's standards. I think you'd find that you'd be pearling (bow sinks under the surface of the water and doesn't resurface easily) getting frustrated.

I'm 6'0" and when I was 185 pounds (ten pounds ago) I paddled an Inazone 232 quite a bit. I'd suggest you keep looking.

Best,

Mark
Hey Mark,
Thanks for the reply. Ya I decided not to get it, on you guys recommendations. From your experience will the 232 fit me, or do you recommend steering clear of the InaZone all together. Would I be pearling in that boat as well?

When I find another cheap craigslist boat, I will once again post on here and try to get some good feedback before I buy.

Matt
Old 07-13-2008   #9

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Boat recommendation

Matt,

You could certainly get by with a 232. You will find it pearling but it won't be bad on class II-III stuff. Plus dealing with the pearling can be a very good skill to learn. It'll teach you to tilt the boat to allow the water to shed, instead of trying to lean back to accomplish the same task. I'd keep your eyes open for other, more contemporary designs, too. There's lots of stuff out there and at pretty decent prices. I have size 10.5 feet so that's another issue because the foot room is a premium. By the way, the weight posting you quoted from Pyranha is most likely for the Inazona 242, which is much larger than the 222.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steltz02 View Post
Hey Mark,
Thanks for the reply. Ya I decided not to get it, on you guys recommendations. From your experience will the 232 fit me, or do you recommend steering clear of the InaZone all together. Would I be pearling in that boat as well?

When I find another cheap craigslist boat, I will once again post on here and try to get some good feedback before I buy.

Matt
ibyakn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008   #10

Response to the Ina Zone boat

I am a new paddler myself and sat in a few different boats and with expert recommendation, I bought new equipment. Now, obviously budget will always play a factor, but when buying new, you know exactly what you are getting. For example, when I took my lesson, there was a guy in my class who had purchased a boat and it was way too small for him. That is a lot of money possibly wasted. Great idea checking here first though. If you get into a boat that is not right, you will most likely not enjoy paddling. Also, be careful buying used helmets, paddles, skirts, etc. Try a couple different sized paddles if you haven't, it makes a huge difference. Sometimes spending the extra money can be worth it. Just my two cents. Hope you find something that works well for you.
jakenewhouse005 is offline   Reply With Quote