New Poster...new to kayaking. Question: - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-06-2010   #1

Vonore, Tennessee
New Poster...new to kayaking. Question:

In the process of buying a used kayak, what are the consequences of buy a boat that is rated for a slightly heavier person? I am about 15 pounds below the recommended weight range. TIA

bamagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2010   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
It will take more effort to move it around the river, and it may be harder to roll. Chances are it will work ok though. What type of kayak are you looking at?
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010   #3

Vonore, Tennessee
What Type....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
It will take more effort to move it around the river, and it may be harder to roll. Chances are it will work ok though. What type of kayak are you looking at?
I am looking at a Liquid Logic Hoss right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2010   #4

Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1987
Unless you are getting a screaming deal- like $100 or so, keep looking around. There are plenty of boats for sale here and on boater talk.
sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010   #5

Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I picked up a boat that I was barely under the weight range for. Sold it the next week, I would keep looking.
smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010   #6

If you are 15 pounds over the suggested top end weight, you should look for a bigger boat. Especially if you are just learning, being in a boat that you are too heavy for will make your kayaking life unnecessarily difficult.

There are plenty of boats out there bigger than the Hoss. Just keep looking.
darcyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010   #7

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I've been there and I was miserable. If you don't weigh enough in that boat, you won't be able to get the edges to do their job. I had a trigger and I called it the Devil boat. I was more of a passenger than a driver and it was actually rated down to 95 pounds and I was about 110. I still couldn't move the boat like I needed to.
I would demo that boat before you buy it. Buying your first boat is hard because you really don't know what to look for. Unless it's super cheap, I would wait.

Kim
kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010   #8

Vonore, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcyg View Post
If you are 15 pounds over the suggested top end weight, you should look for a bigger boat. Especially if you are just learning, being in a boat that you are too heavy for will make your kayaking life unnecessarily difficult.

There are plenty of boats out there bigger than the Hoss. Just keep looking.

I am 15 under the range. But, it seems the concensus is to keep looking....thanks for the advice everyone.
Old 07-08-2010   #9
Link

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
I have no idea what it's like to be in a boat outside your weight range, but I'm also new to kayaking and I have the Liquid Logic Lil'Joe. If you like the Hoss the Lil'Joe is the next weight range down but the same hull design. I haven't done more than try to roll it in a pool but so far I like my boat a lot. Just thought I'd throw that out there if it helps, at least it might give you a new search term to try.
Linkthealmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Fifteen pounds under is better than 15 over. For me the most important thing is whether the boat fits or not. If you have it outfitted to fit you properly you will likely have a forgiving boat to learn in.
Kayaksteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayaking