New Oar Blades - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-14-2012   #1
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
New Oar Blades

My Cataract Magnum blade encountered a river shark yesterday. After four years, I feel they were a fair value and performed well. I have a 16 foot cat with Cataract SGX shafts (not counter-balanced). I usually am on the oars for 4-5 hours at a time running some technical rocky sections with a lot of flatwater in between. Sometimes with a heavy load and into the wind. I initially bought the Magnums as a step-up from Carliles and immediately liked how light they felt and their buoyancy. I would like to keep the SGX shafts but am wondering if anyone can recommend other blades to consider. It's always more fun to buy something new and better than just the same thing again. Thanks!

Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Sawyer Dynelite blades are the best that money can buy. I have had so many shark bites out of Cataract Magnum blades it is ridiculous. Cataract customer service leaves a lot to be desired, but Sawyer takes great care of their customers.
Old 05-14-2012   #3

Park City, Utah
I rowed a dory with dynalights & I was impressed by how light they were. Too expensive for my budget, but very nice.
Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012   #4

Definitely take a look at the pro-v's.... buoyant and resist shark bites like you wouldn't believe.
Osprey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012   #5

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
I've got a Cat blade also small shark bite. I'm thinking of maybe making a mold out of one of the good ones and then trying to epoxy the blade into shape. might be worth it as a spare or to see if it works testing it on a local river having a few real spares on hand ...

hard to shell out $120 on a better blade that probably is going to get trashed anyhow from my carelessness ...
Old 05-15-2012   #6
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I had an order pending with Cascade Designs and when I called to check on the status I spoke with a very knowledgeable salesperson. She addresssed all my concerns; Buoyancy, weight, durabilty, and I ended up ordering a pair of Dynelites. The cost was still a concern but I'm saving on shipping since it will go with my other order

What sealed the deal for me, was learning that the Dynelite CAN be repaired, depending on the extent of damage. And, I will have them before next weekend!
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012   #7

Ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2003
We had the same problem with Magnum blades. They are just frickin brittle. Switched to Sawyer Dynelites and haven't looked back. They are lighter, stronger, and have taken hit after hit that would have broken chunks off the Magnums. Bonus points for Sawyer because they are only 7 miles from our house
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012   #8

Flagstaff, Arizona
Can't wait to try these out! Polecats with fir/ash blades, 2lb counterweights and personalized contact info in case one of y'all fish one out of the river and are kind enough to return 'em.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	464821_4009733605487_1667411460_o.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	310.3 KB
ID:	4746  
NorthernAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012   #9

NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
Hopefully you have better luck with the Dynelites then I did. A great blade...for drift boaters. It took almost nothing to snap mine in half but I was warned here on MB. The best blade for the money and for whitewater is still the Magnums, you still break them accasionally but when you do at least your not out 160 bucks and more often then not you get the "shark bite" and can usually use them for the rest of the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I had an order pending with Cascade Designs and when I called to check on the status I spoke with a very knowledgeable salesperson. She addresssed all my concerns; Buoyancy, weight, durabilty, and I ended up ordering a pair of Dynelites. The cost was still a concern but I'm saving on shipping since it will go with my other order

What sealed the deal for me, was learning that the Dynelite CAN be repaired, depending on the extent of damage. And, I will have them before next weekend!
Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012   #10

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
My Cataract Magnum blade encountered a river shark yesterday. After four years, I feel they were a fair value and performed well. I have a 16 foot cat with Cataract SGX shafts (not counter-balanced). I usually am on the oars for 4-5 hours at a time running some technical rocky sections with a lot of flatwater in between. Sometimes with a heavy load and into the wind. I initially bought the Magnums as a step-up from Carliles and immediately liked how light they felt and their buoyancy. I would like to keep the SGX shafts but am wondering if anyone can recommend other blades to consider. It's always more fun to buy something new and better than just the same thing again. Thanks!
All the Sawyer blades have value from low end to the composite.
garystrome is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blade