new kicks NRS Velocity vs Rasslers? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-26-2015   #1
swimming

Colorado, Colorado
new kicks NRS Velocity vs Rasslers?

Anyone compare these? Looking for a new pair of shoes. Like the looks of the NRS worried about longevity though. Had a pair of water tennies that imploded after 1 season.

BeaterBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2015   #2

Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
decent discussion in this here thread:

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ear-56592.html

-$$$
Blade&Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015   #3
swimming

Colorado, Colorado
Good thread about astral, looking for more information about the new NRS lineup and also maybe the adidas selection? I see they're using stealth rubber now too...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2015   #4
swimming

Colorado, Colorado
Mostly interested in these:

NRS Velocity Water Shoe at nrs.com
Old 04-26-2015   #5

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
I'm curious about NRS too. Have not see or heard about anyone with them yet. I also like the look of the NRS Crush for everyday shoe not that I wear shoes causally that often when it's warm out, flips flops.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
SteamboatBORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015   #6

Sumas, Chilliwack, BC
I have a pair of crush shoes and they are pretty cozy so far. They fit a little narrow though so a pair of thin merino wool socks plus NRS hydro skin socks make a tight fit. Still waiting to see if they will last....

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Dman987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015   #7

Manitou Springs, Colorado
I had their creek shoes, armored creek gloves and maverick gloves. All of which fell apart quickly and without the abuse you'd expect. I bought these things at local stores and didn't feel they should have to be bothered with the return, clearly NRS's problem. Good news, I put all of the above in a box and sent it to them without an RA#, I put a handwritten note in the box and expressed my disappointment. I didn't ask for anything, just told them to do what they thought best. They gave me a store credit for the items less shipping and tax. I bought a couple knives and the tried and true straps. No way would I buy shoes or gloves from them again though.

I've abused the shit out of my 5/10 Water Tennies (3 years with 50-70 days a year). Super sticky, could probably climb 5.10 in them and they're durable as hell. The only complaint is they take forever to dry
shannon s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015   #8

Beersheva, Utah
I've gone from super old/cheap neoprene booties to chacos to NRS Sasquatch to Rasslers to NRS Remix to NRS Sasquatch. The Rasslers were comfortable and sturdy on shore, but too bulky and they let in a bunch of little pepples/rocks. The Remix and Sasquatch are comfortable, fit into a boat well, and are very sticky/durable on the shore. I haven't tried the Velocity, but they look like they'd keep more pebbles/rocks out. That was the main reason I got rid of the Rasslers. Personally, I'll stick with neoprene booties that have a rugged exterior. The comfort and lack of bulk is great, but they're still incredibly useful when I'm scrambling around in an emergency. If the Velocity isn't as bulky and they keep rocks out, they'd be an upgrade from the Rassler (IMO).
j-jo-ber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015   #9

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-jo-ber View Post
I've gone from super old/cheap neoprene booties to chacos to NRS Sasquatch to Rasslers to NRS Remix to NRS Sasquatch. The Rasslers were comfortable and sturdy on shore, but too bulky and they let in a bunch of little pepples/rocks. The Remix and Sasquatch are comfortable, fit into a boat well, and are very sticky/durable on the shore. I haven't tried the Velocity, but they look like they'd keep more pebbles/rocks out. That was the main reason I got rid of the Rasslers. Personally, I'll stick with neoprene booties that have a rugged exterior. The comfort and lack of bulk is great, but they're still incredibly useful when I'm scrambling around in an emergency. If the Velocity isn't as bulky and they keep rocks out, they'd be an upgrade from the Rassler (IMO).
You may like the new Hiyak: Hiyak - Astral Designs
SteamboatBORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015   #10

Portland, Oregon
I have five ten water tennies and I love them...but ti OP question:

I tried on the Velocity this weekend (in store only) - initial impressions.

They seem to run a bit small if you are putting drysuit booties and heavy socks in them. I wear a 9 street shoe, a 9.5 water tennie, and a 9.5 seemed like it was going to be a bit snug with socks/booties in it.

They are also pretty rigid. This ultimately could be a good thing, but putting them on in the store - they felt very rigid. This may contribute to why they felt small to me.

Rubber. The rubber felt GREAT on dry ground. I can't speak to its "wet rocks" traction, but the rubber feels really nice. The Idaho tread patterns is pretty great, and seems very effective too.

I have found that you can't really "sell" somebody on a paddling shoe. Tastes vary greatly, and this is further complicated by the type of boating they are used for, the amount of days on the water, where they are stored etc...